My Hands Explode Again

I landed on my chest as the air was knocked out of me. Violet pulled me up into a run as I realized we were on the 4th floor and headed upward.

"I thought... we... couldn't... Teleport." I wheezed.

"Powers out," Violet said.

I noticed a stretcher being hauled past me as archers ran up and down past us, carrying blue lights to shine the way.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To find Dave," Violet said. "Something's wrong, and if we are going to turn this thing around... we need him."

We raced up two more floors until we saw a frantic Dave hopping over zapping electric wires in a hectic attempt to fix the blue lights.

"Dude! Man, am I glad to see you guys!" Dave said, relieved.

"What happened?" Violet asked.

"I think it was too much for the old girls to handle," Dave said affectionately, patting the back of the lights.

"So, how do we get them working again?" Violet asked.

"I don't know. I've tried everything. I think their days in the sun are done," Dave admitted. "Even if we do manage to get these pups working again, everyone down there would be blinded, including some of our team."

"Yes. But wasn't that kind of the plan?" Violet asked.

"Yeah, but now it would be more of a surprise to us since the lights have flickered out. Starting it up again might cause a bogus problem since we're not expecting it now. You dig???"

Dave said all of this with a fantastic sense of clarity. I disagreed with him, but I was astonished at how clearly he explained his rationale for keeping us in the dark!

"So, what now?" Violet turned to me.

"I have an idea, but right now, Violet, I think we could use some 'Hope!' Remember!"

She looked at me as it dawned on her that we were inside L&D. If we could press the correct braille dots to spell HOPE, then actual hope would flood the side of Life. In short, we could do ANYTHING!!! Death wouldn't stand a chance because once hope is ignited, it spreads...

"I know who I need to find, Dominic!" Violet said, "Leave it to me." 

I felt a creeping feeling up the base of my spine and arms, just like I did that night in the bum house. My hands and wrists were starting to vibrate. The hum was slight, but I thought I could harness it.

"Violet!" I said, "I can do it!"

"What?" Violet asked.

"If You find someone to crack open Pandora's box," I said. "I think I can charge the lights!"

"How? Are you sure?" Violet asked.

"By using my magic powers and no... I'm not completely sure - but I feel good about it." I said.

"They're not magic," Violet added. "You've got this?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said. "We better get going!"

Violet ran down the steps and disappeared into the crowd. It killed me to watch her go.

I could feel the buzzing along my arms and hands getting more intense.

"Stand back, Dave," I ordered as I instinctively placed my wrists together and opened my hands toward the lights. I noticed a main power supply box just behind both large box lights. Alrighty, I'll light that up, too!

I felt an intense power surge along with my back and through my arms as beams of blue light shot out of my hands and into the box lights, the power box, and onto the floor below. Slowly the rest of L&D flickered back on as my body hummed. I felt a sudden surge as the beams grew brighter, and I closed my eyes in concentration, looking away from the fight. I heard the clicking sound of boot heels from somewhere off to my left as Dave jumped past me and into that direction.

I squinted and saw two arrows lodged in his chest.

"Dave?" I called out.

"Man, not cool," Dave answered as he pulled them out of his chest and threw them to the floor. "Just keep those lights happy, Bro. I got your back!"

"Okay, thanks," I grunted as a bead of sweat raced down my forehead.

I watched as their army retreated down the steps. Our archers sent volley after volley of arrows into our enemy's formations. Their closed ranks started to break apart - slowly at first and then quickly.

"How long, man?" Dave asked me.

I could tell he was fighting off someone, but he was too far behind me, and I couldn't see who it was.

"I don't know, a few minutes?" I answered.

"I got a few minutes." Dave panted as I thought I heard him get up from the floor.

"Dave," I said as ideas started coming together. "Duck and stay down!"

I shifted around, angling one hand above Dave and into his attacker, knocking them into the wall.

I looked over at Dave. He was doubled over and barely moving. My thoughts were interrupted by cheering. I stopped, turning away from the lights as I saw the last enemy battalion retreat from L&D as our army cheered, racing after them. L&D's lights returned to their average brightness as I ran over to Dave.

"Hey Dave, Buddy, how's it going?" I asked, now getting nervous.

"I'm okay, Man. Just a little tired," He said as I knelt down beside him. "She worked me over good." He coughed with a chuckle.

"Look, we'll get you some help, okay," I said. "Can you stand?"

"I think so." He said as I pulled him up and draped his arm around my neck.

"You took those arrows for me?" I asked.

"Isn't that what friends are supposed to do?" Dave asked.

"Yeah, sure, Bro!" I grinned and agreed.

I scanned the halls as I helped haul Dave's carcass down the steps.

An archer raced up toward us on the stairs. She made eye contact with me and slung her bow over her shoulder.

"You guys need help?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said.

She walked toward us as a group came up behind her.

"Some of us are moving up to the top floors to help free the mentors. I can have a few guys take your friend to the infirmary on the third floor." She said.

"Thank you," I said.

I watched as she nodded to the guy on her right and left as they walked away from her side, and each put an arm around Dave. I sighed with relief as Dave was lifted off my shoulders.

"Hey, do you know where Violet Bordeaux is?" I asked.

"She's down there. She got hit and pulled from the battle just before the enemy started retreating." The archer said.

"Dave," I said, but he cut me off.

"When you gotta go, Man, you gotta go!" He said.

"Thanks!" I said quickly as I sprinted into a run down the steps and toward the direction of the infirmary.