Death Takes Me Out For Nachos

The world slid back into view. I could see the streets of the Financial District bathed in a light, orange glow. It was dusk.

"We were in there all day?!!" I asked.

"Time continues to pass, Gallo, even the corporation of Life and Death acknowledges it. All things must change. It is how we continue to be needed." Keith said solemnly.

"Uh... thanks, Keith," I said. I just caught myself before the eye roll happened.

"You're welcome," He answered. He wasn't looking at me.

I looked around us and paused in speculation.

"Where's Alice?" I asked.

"I needed to converse with you in private," Keith said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you are my apprentice," Keith said.

"I thought you didn't want me anymore... that you had already passed me over to Alice because you couldn't talk to me... besides, she's the one with all of my pamphlets." I blurted out.

"You do not need flimsy pieces of paper to tell you how to live out your existence as a Reaper, Gallo," Keith said.

Well, they would kind of help, I thought.

"My arrangement for you to stay with Alice is a temporary one," Keith said.

"How temporary?" I asked.

Keith looked like he might combust again which would make the third time this week that I made someone disappear out of pure rage - but who's counting? I watched Keith as he fought back the urge to combust. Finally, he leaned against a wall and sighed.

"My apartment is about to be condemned and I will be evicted." Death said mournfully.

"You are evicted." I reminded him. "A notice was stapled to your door."

"Yes. It sucks!" Keith answered. "I have lived there for many years."

'Probably when the place was first built.' I thought, unkindly.

We stood there for a long and awkward silence. He would have to break this silence because I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Would you like some nachos?" Keith asked suddenly.

I sighed and shoved my hands into my pockets. "Sure," I said.

I followed alongside Keith as he grabbed my shoulder and we Teleported again. When the strange sensations passed, we were standing just outside of Mama Louisa's Chicken Lickin. The sign said, 'Come in, we're open, but it was impossible to tell how long the sign had been hanging there and if it was accurate. The windows were opaque and if lights were on the inside, they were extremely dim. The flower boxes hanging under the windows had dusty, artificial flowers stuffed in them haphazardly.

"Dammit! Wrong location!" Keith scowled. He grabbed my left shoulder and tried to combust again. Instead, we kind of frazzled and black dust settled around us and floated down to the asphalt.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Teleportation is costly," Keith said with a slight pant. "In an hour or so, I'll have gained enough interest. Until then, I guess there's always the bus?" He sighed, deeply.

"Do you think they have nachos?" I asked, looking up at the partly rusted Mama Louisa's Chicken Lickin sign.

"Perhaps," Keith answered uncertainly.