It's a Quiet Moment 'Till It's Not

I followed Violet's slender silhouette through the crowds and discreetly chucked the strawberry Newton into a bush on the pier. We decided to share an orange juice because Violet had only enough spare change in her back pocket for a Large. I wanted to contribute too, but now that I was dead, it wasn't like I could cash my check from Good Life. Or, could I? I needed to figure out this currency thing, but I was too tired to concentrate on something like that right now.

Violet bit off the wrappers like a shark and stabbed the two straws into the top of our drink. A sour expression appeared on her face as she swallowed slowly. We lingered by the tiny, carnival-looking stand and watched the squealing kids on the carousel.

"It needs more sugar," she said, crinkling her nose.

I bent down and took a sip through my straw. I tasted a slight bitterness, but it wasn't horrible.

"Better than the Fig Newton," I muttered.

Violet's eyebrow cocked up. She kept slurping the juice but didn't say anything.

We continued to walk in silence as the crowds mingled around us. They completely ignored her chalky body and unkempt appearance. My thoughts must have been easily readable because Violet suddenly broke our silence.

"It's because Death renders us mostly invisible." She handed the cup back to me.

"What?" I sputtered and spilled a little of the OJ on my shirt. Violet handed me a napkin and continued.

"The dead can usually move about incognito among living humans; unless, of course, you are wearing something as outlandish as a Chinese Dragon costume or moving at a pace that is clearly out of sync with your surroundings."

"Or, you plow into a group of them on your "Bubba" bike?" I grinned. I couldn't help it.

She smiled and nodded, then continued a bit more seriously, "We wear a sort of muted camouflage. It's like we only stand out in the faint flickering of a wonky lightbulb. Once the bulb is righted - either burning brightly or burnt out, we're not noticed anymore. We're just a brief flicker to the living - easily forgotten, really."

The sun poked through soft, grey clouds and fought back the fog for a few minutes. We walked past a large metal heart that divided steps, and I could just barely make out Alcatraz in the distance. The barking of seals came from under the Pier 39 sign and drew us closer for a look. There wasn't a large crowd, so we walked up to the fence. Piles of seals created a huge (and barking loud!) napping party. They remained a pretty contented-looking lot for all the barking, slapping, and napping.

"Being a seal must be pretty cool," I said and took another tart sip from our cup. "Do you think the seals would notice much if we went down there and tried to blend?"

"Yeah, I guess you don't really have to do much to be a seal," Violet said as she looked thoughtful, "They might be a little suspicious at first. It depends on how smart they are." She gazed at a clump of seals near us.

"Do you want to become a seal, Violet?" I teased.

"You're the one who brought it up," she retorted with a smirk. "Besides, I don't like sushi."

"But that's the best part! And it's free," I protested.

"Really? Well, I guess we can rule out on me fulfilling your dream of becoming a seal," Violet said.

She sighed lightly. Pushing back from the rail suddenly, she said, "We should keep moving."

"Sure," I said.