We Confess Our Literal Undying Love For Each Other

Xavier recoiled from the sword-like he'd grabbed the red tip of an iron poker. Both Violet and Xavier dropped to the floor out of my reach.

"Violet!" I gasped as I crawled toward her.

She wrapped her hands around her stomach. I reached her side, but it was an awful wound. We didn't have much time.

I looked up, but Xavier was gone, the Weapon of Life and that stupid box in his place. The Weapon was no longer a straight, golden sword, and I wondered if his touch and evil deed had corrupted it. The jagged blade looked like a wicked, thin, half-moon. It gleamed a pale white on one side and was as black as night on the other.

"Dominic," Violet whispered.

"Yeah. I'm here," I choked back to her.

"I want you to promise me that you'll open that box," Violet said.

"What? What box?" I said rapidly.

Violet rolled her eyes as she smiled weakly.

"You never pay attention, do you?" She sighed.

"Why? Why do I need to open it?" I asked.

"Dominic, Xavier told me. He taunted me with it, but it will destroy him instead!" She coughed and struggled for air. "The puzzle box belongs to Pandora. Remember her? Curiosity caused her to open the box and release all kinds of havoc. The one thing left in the box, Dominic, can help the forces of Life. Don't open the box until you get inside L&D.

"What's in the box, Violet?" I asked. "I remember we could hear it fluttering!"

"Hope," she said softly. "The bumps on the side of the box are brail. Find someone who can spell Hope in brail. The combination is -H-O-P-E-. I need you to promise me that you will take that box inside L&D," she added. "If we have hope, we can win, right?"

"Hey, Violet. We'll take it together! Or, we'll end together." I said.

"Promise me!" She cried.

"No! I'm not leaving you," I said. My lips trembled uncontrollably, and I pressed my forehead against hers, holding her as a silent impasse flowed between us.

"Then, I have one last request," she whispered.

"What?" I asked, my voice shaking.

Violet grabbed my shirt collar, pulling my face toward her as she kissed me. I pulled her closer as a tingling sensation thrummed through me. I snapped away from Violet as she let the light in her palms fade.

"Violet, you didn't!" I cried.

"I'm sorry. I can't let you end with me," Violet said. "What is left of my life force is yours."

A tear slid down her cheek as she became unresponsive, and her hand slipped out from mine.

"Violet!" I pleaded.

"You cannot save her." The Guardian of Life appeared, circling the room as she faded in and out like a ghost. "But I can. She was unjustly slaughtered by the one with an illegitimate claim to the sword. He has paid dearly. She promised it in exchange for your life. The token has been accepted through her selfless sacrifice, and the balance of Life and Death has been restored. The Weapon is still in my charge. A new Guardian can be created, but she is slipping quickly." Praeses said.

"Then, save her," I said firmly. "Please!"

"Mind you, she will no longer be dead, but rather a true, pure force of Life - complete and eternal." Praeses paused as if waiting for my consent. The word eternal sunk into me with the weight of a rock.

"Do it!" I nodded.

Praeses stepped forward as she knelt beside me. The Weapon of Life appeared in her hands as she rested the hilt over Violet's heart. Collecting Violet's hands in hers, she rested them on top of the blade. I watched as the ethereal glow dimmed around the Guardian's features while Violet's features became more illuminated. I could tell the Praeses was struggling to separate her powers. Violet's eyes fluttered open unexpectedly. She gasped as the sword turned a light golden hue in her palms.

"Dominic?" Violet asked.

"Hey, there," I whispered, relieved.

I brushed a stray wisp of hair from her lashes.

"What?!" She cried, pushing the hair away from my eyes.

I struggled to speak, but the Guardian beat me to it.

"He requested that I use the last of my power to make you the next Guardian of life. The Eternal Forces accepted you, Violet Amelia Bordeaux, and they will protect you." Praeses said solemnly.

Violet was crying now. Her eyes brimmed with tears, shimmering as she looked at me.

"I love you, you idiot," she exclaimed.

I paused.

"I thought you hated me," I said.

"Well, I don't," she cried. "And it's all your fault."

Wiping a few tears off onto her sleeve, she looked at me. When our roles were swapped, I realized I couldn't lose her either, and it had nearly killed me to watch her go.

"I'm not going anywhere. It will take a lot more than that to get rid of me, Violet Bordeaux," I paused with a light chuckle as I touched her face. I pulled her in toward me, and we kissed.