Doris Demands People

The cool San Francisco air wrapped around us before we swiftly entered L&D's transportation services. I turned to my right and froze as I caught sight of Doris from her desk. She hardly looked up from her People magazine as she lowered her glasses down to the tip of her nose. I watched as she stood up creakily and walked stiffly to the door behind us. She kept an eye on her watch as she flipped the sign.

"We're closed," she said in a flat voice.

"But L&D is in danger!" I blurted out.

"So is my 'me' time," Doris puffed angrily. "Come back during working hours."

Doris shuffled and pulled open the door, and Violet slammed it back.

"No," Violet said.

"No?" Doris asked, raising an eyebrow in a challenge.

"What if you earned a little bonus for the price of your 'me' time?" Violet offered.

"And what do you intend to sacrifice?" Doris asked.

I swallowed. Somehow I didn't like how she said the word sacrifice. There was something old (no, ancient!) behind Doris' wing-tipped glasses that wanted more than just a greased palm. Doris circled to the back of her desk as we walked toward her.

"What do you want?" Violet asked. "I know you don't work for free."

"People." She blurted out.

"What?" I asked.

"I want my own People magazine," she insisted.

"You want us to buy you a magazine?" I asked skeptically.

"Not just one. A year's subscription," Doris purred.

"No," Violet said decidedly.

"What? Why not?!" I asked. It seemed like a simple enough demand.

"Because once you subscribe, there is no unsubscribing," Violet said.

"True," Doris murmured dreamily, "their customer service branches are spread throughout several remote channels. Most have sketchy internet service at best, making it almost impossible to discontinue. It's brilliant! I have to go to doctors' offices to acquire them."

"You steal them?" I asked.

"Why not? By the time I get there, the issues are several months old. I prefer my gossip... fresh," Doris hissed. "Do we have a deal or not?"

"No!" Violet protested.

"That is my price!" Doris snapped.

"Violet! I don't think we have time to argue about this," I groaned. "Just buy the subscription!"

"Fine!" Violet hissed under her breath. "How do we set up the People eternal subscription?"

Doris smiled as she handed Violet some kind of card.

"Just fill out the credit card information." Doris said, "I'll do the rest."

"The one time you are actually helpful," Violet muttered.

Doris didn't even scowl. Violet filled out the card and clicked the bottom of the pen against the table when she was finished. Doris reached up over her desk to snatch the card. She moved faster than I thought possible, but Violet pulled it back from her at the last second.

"The card for tickets to L&D," Violet said firmly. Doris recoiled back behind her desk like a snake.

"Fine," Doris said. Her fingers clacked against the keyboard and a row of tickets popped out of the printer.

"Two Teleportation tickets to L&D." Doris hummed with satisfaction. "Do you want the receipt?" She asked.

"Definitely," Violet said. Doris slid them across the table, her fingers still poised above them.

"The card for the tickets." Doris cooed as Violet made a reluctant swap.

I felt my shoulders relax as I exhaled.

"Happy travels," she waved at us and clutched the card between her fingertips like gold. She was positively giddy! It was incredible to behold.

The bell rang behind us as we stepped out into the cold air. Soon we were face to face in the dim light of the Teleportation booth. We stepped inside as the light turned on, and the booth hummed to life.

"Are you worried?" I asked.

"About what?" Violet asked.

"What it's going to be like once we get there?" I asked.

Violet's lips moved as if to speak, but she hesitated, suddenly the countdown voice blasted against the booth walls.

"Hold me." She said forcefully.

"Um, Violet?" I asked. Vi rolled and then narrowed her eyes.

"Look, I don't have time to explain. Just do it!" Violet ordered as her cheeks turned bright pink.

She refused to make eye contact as I held her loosely around her waist. Man, she had a tiny waist. Violet grabbed me in a tight hug as she pinched her eyes shut.

"Don't let go," she whispered as a flash of light surrounded us.

Not a chance, I thought, as I held her more tightly against my chest, and the countdown boomed, "One!"