VOL.2: Special Chapter

Special Chapter—Mother's Day
———————————————————————————

It was a good Mother's Day this morning with the Duncannons, especially for Cierra Duncannon: Her husband made her the best Blueberry waffles with these caramelized pecans. Underneath the smile of August, he was stressing that everything needed to be perfect. He didn't care for his beard that morning.
Bless his heart. She thought happily while her eyes wondered to her son, who seemed as if he was holding back tears for a bit.
Becoming a mother gave her a sixth sense—To detect any pain and finding out the truth sooner than others.
She called Marcus over to the kitchen where she asked kindly about his trouble.
"They..say mean things about her. About the way she talks when she's nervous."
After finding out the truth, she knocked silently on Akina's door. Yet, it was wide awake and there was Akina reading a book.
Akina always had a lack of self-confidence. Even while she did ballet, her pirouette needed improvement and her covering the bruise on her hand. She knew she was adopted, her skin was as fair as Snow White while Cierra had a red tint to her skin.
Akina knew what her mom wanted to say, that feeling between a mother's love and a daughter's.
"They said..That I'm a freak. They pushed-d me and called me an-n unwanted freak..." Her daughter; one who was not born from her, started to weep and cried under
"Don't let anyone tell you different, Akina. I love you, baby for who you are. Let no one tell you different and don't let anyone change you." Cierra consoled her daughter, her dusky rose hair was extremely velvety to the touch.
Be strong, Aki...I will fix this...

—The Next Day—

Words of encouragement made Akina feel a bit better, even now having her in a small ponytail and feeling more determined now than ever.
She looked to her mother and gave the biggest grin for her, it was a genuine grin.
All from a few words of encouragement that will give Akina the inspiration she needs to be better for the rest of the year. She even has expressed an interest in enrolling Surwick...Dear lord..She wants to go to the massive school that is Surwick, the School of Heroes and Protectors...And so does Marcus if she tells him about it... Cierra ruminated about this whole ordeal.
August, with gentleness that of a masseur, massaged her shoulders. They were a bit tense today since the stress going on in these parts.
A mother's work is never done, as the old saying goes. It made Cierra always worried about her kids, one out of blood and one out of a promise. It has made her tired and stressed out where her bones ache whenever she would hear the troubles regarding her children.
But it has made Cierra fulfilled. It has made her happy, content with her life while acknowledging the cost of her freedom. It made her realized at this is what God intended for her: For Cierra to become a great mother.
"I don't know how you do all this, Cierra. Just when I think I figured out this parenting thing, you're the Queen where even Erika is all confused." August praised his wife, kissing her once on the forehead. He just couldn't believe it all—How he managed to be the most luckiest man in all of the N.U.S.N.
She looked at her husband and revealed her little secret. "Love and patience. Plus the other thousand things that come with." She jested around in the end, but it was true. There are many ways to raise a child, but to have one become a stable and loving citizen of this world, they need to know kindness, love and patience along with a thousand other things that factor into becoming a good person.
Maybe I'm doing everything wrong? Maybe I'm doing all the right things...I think they'll turn out just fine..
"Marcus's lunch box!" She yelled, remembering that her son left his lunchbox on the kitchen table. She also darted so fast out of his house and into the road that the bus hasn't took off yet. She saw her children sitting in the front of the bus and handed it to Marcus.
Cierra could see her little smiles through the foggy window. She could even see a hand smaller than her
Akina opened up the window beside her and waved at her mom.
"Thanks, Mom!!" Her children thanked her in unison, the bus treks on forward as they left to go to school that day.
She felt glad to be a mom. Unluckily for her though, Cierra pulled a muscle and went back to her house limping a bit.
Maybe one day at a time, Cierra...Take it one day at a time with them..

—Happy Mother's Day to all the hard-working and loving moms in the world—