XXII: The unexpected ambush

Start from the beginning

"He'd be cooking the second Breakfast," Pippin continued.

"You were curiously quiet on our journey back," Xena noticed as she stood up, realising the elf was speaking to her. After her trip through the market with Arwen, Legolas had seen her serious thinking. He didn't know why, but he could sense she was bothered by something.

"It's not what it seems to be!" Xena reacted while attempting to forget the brief experience she had in the alley; she had many questions but did not trust the wooden elf to share them with him; he would believe she was insane. "Or did you miss our meetings?"

"One could have fooled me, but there is something bothering your mind?" the elf asked as he turned and looked at her "What have you seen?"

"Hold your tongue," she said angrily. "There's nothing to talk about with an arrogant elf."

"A weird request from someone who seems like to have encountered a spectre," he continued unafraid.

"This isn't about you, elf," she answered with a harsh tone, gazing at him. "We aren't precisely pals to discuss all my opinions with you."

"You are bad at this," he groaned, peering at her. "I know more about this world than you do; it would be prudent to disclose anything that may cause you to behave so strangely."

"You want me to believe you, but I'm not foolish." Xena fixed her gaze on him "or are you attempting to capture my undivided attention? How's that nose of yours doing?"

"What is keeping you?" Legolas responded, his grin more terrifying than Xena had imagined, with no charm or fear in his words and movements. "You are free to try again. However, you may wind up with a broken nose this time."

Xena watched him for a bit, understanding that this was exactly what he desired. To have her chat to him and perhaps end up talking about her and what she saw. "Clever elf," she grinned, "but the answer remains no, I will not tell you."

The shadows of dusk deepened as the group of the six spoke and galloped. As the sun started to set, Xena felt a wave of exhaustion wash over her, and a mist formed in front of their eyes. She felt chilled and realised that the hobbits were feeling the same way. Legolas rode close to Aragorn, observing the drastic shift in the environment.

"The hobbits are exhausted; they can't keep riding after midnight," Aragorn said.

"We can't stay here Aragorn, we have to get back to Imladris," Legolas argued. "There is evil out there that never sleeps."

"We have to ride to Imladris," Arwen agreed. "We are in danger, something is following us," she had sensed the unexpected darkness shattering the serenity.

They exchanged solemn looks before starting their ride, which was now faster than before. Arwen pushed them forward while keeping her gaze focused behind them. The hobbits struggled to keep their footing in the presence of Strider and Arwen. They had gone approximately twenty miles before midnight when they came to a split in the road that curved right and led down to the valley's bottom, straight into the river.

Legolas and the ranger chatted in elf-tongue, their faces darkened with worry as if they sensed what was pursuing them. The hobbits couldn't travel much farther that night, but they couldn't camp either. They were not far from the gate to Imladris, and what bothered them was who could go so near to Elrond's house.

"It will be safe if we reach the river," Legolas remarked, "because something has been omitted and is now quick behind us, and other dangers may lie ahead."