11

Chapter Eleven

Vibe: Baby Outlaw by Elle King

Alice could not remember the last time she held a gun—in fact, it was quite possible she never had before.

"You're a natural, Alice!" Cecile and Emily, the brown haired, green eyed, olive skinned Archibald twins, both cheered—standing a good distance away from Alice, who was far from a natural at shooting things.

Alice laughed, throwing the annoying blonde strands back from her face as she tried to adjust her stance with the heavy and awkward gun on her hip, "The targets would disagree with you ladies." She giggled, trying once more to shoot at the object being thrown in front of her.

The Archibald family, like the Baldwins, were part of the highest social classes aside from the royal family. Arvel wasn't far behind as they all enjoyed many of the same social circles and fell in the same category of business—landowning... and secretly selling land for way over its market price, amongst other shady things.

Nobles were not nobles for being good people.

The shooting range out in the country side of Audovera was practically the twins personal playground; having grown up in the various spots their mother herself transformed into popular social gatherings. Alice was quite envious, the most her father allowed her to do was sit at home with the nannies and stay out of his way. Perhaps he had ran out of patience for children after his second youngest had her coming-of-age party when Alice was six.

Sighing annoyedly at the invasive thought about her pitiful father, she brought the shotgun up, aligning it with her shoulder the way the twins had taught her. Trying her best to keep it pointed at the pottery being tossed sky high, she envisioned the duke's face on it. Her anger and frustration almost sending waves of destruction off her as she finally pulled the trigger.

After a moment of silence, the girls in the back screamed in excitement. "You actually hit one!"

Passing the gun to the worker standing nearby, Alice could feel the rush of adrenaline as the bloodlust settled into her bones. Placing the best smile on her face, she turned back to the young twins.

"I'm not sure how you both still have working arms." Alice chuckled, messaging the area the gun pushed back.

With her annoying skirt haphazardly tucked into the waist of her under shorts on one side, Alice shook her long hair out of the constricting pins that never failed to give her a headache. She knew perfectly well that it wasn't proper social etiquette... but 14 year old girls who shot guns and had mothers who flipped land for a living, normally didn't care for that type of thing.

The twins looked at each other in slight shock before turning back to Alice who had revealed a peak of her brown tied corset under her blouse—the cool breeze on her skin a Hail Mary under the blazing sun.

Giggling at the girls, she spoke, "If you keep my rude attire a secret from my maid, I promise to introduce you to one of the princes next time we get together."

With a large smile spreading on both of their faces, Alice knew her work was done.

Because the best way to get a favour out of someone in the future, Alice had learned while living in the capital during her past life, was to make them feel indebted to you after you paid them back triple what you owed them.

And as a plus, Narcisse would rue the day he challenged Alice.

~*~*~

A.N.

I love her. She's so cool.
Alice, manipulate the world like it's your puppet. I'm in awe.

Thank you for reading!