9

Chapter Nine

Vibe: IM NOT SORRY by Royal & The Serpent

"You're insane." Narcisse repeated, making Alice sigh annoyedly as she sipped on the warm tea. "There's no way I'd marry such a lowly commoner." He spat.

It had been a week since the party. After spoiling Narcisse's evening with the news of their future engagement, Alice had a marvellous night drinking bubbly drinks and making connections with people—a simple yet important tactic to hopefully lessen any rumours spread by lady Lucy in the future as well as gain some other needed benefits.

While a temporary high in the overall revenge plot, having her abuser pierced underneath her dagger-like heel was a feeling she never wanted to forget. And in order to keep that feeling, she'd have to work even harder from then on. Thus, the meeting between her and Narcisse.

"Crown Prince—"

"Call me that one more time and I'll kill you." He warned, glaring at her before glancing around him at the empty Arvel garden. Running a hand through his dark hair, he clenched his jaw annoyedly.

Alice chuckled into the teacup, "Do you think I'm scared of death, Narcisse?"

He watched her, his eyes trying desperately to figure her out, "I'll find your weakness and I will suffocate you with it until you beg me to save you."

Exhaling, she put the teacup down. Time for games was over. "Ignoring that," leaning back into the delicate looking chair, she looked him in the eye, "Let's make a deal."

He laughed, "Me make a deal with a commoner? Who do you think I am?"

"The crowned prince... if you don't die before your coronation." She spoke loudly, her smile disappearing as she threatened him.

Swallowing back the sudden lump in his throat, he leaned back as well. "What's the deal, commoner?"

"First, I'm not a commoner, I'm a nobleman's daughter." Her voice was cold as she got down to business, "The daughter of the duke that is influencing your crowning as we speak, to be exact. In exchange for the throne, he gets to be the grandfather of the crown prince's child."

Not to mention an unspendible amount of money and power.

Without subtlety, Narcisse's eyes fell down Alice's body, an eyebrow quirking up in intrigue. There was a reason why she brought up childbearing—Alice already knew Narcisse's thoughts on her body, having experienced his cruel lust on more than one occasion. It would keep his interest on the deal if his mind was on things he could gain from a deal between them. His eyes glimmered with malicious thoughts as she fought back the tremble threatening to make her disgust and maybe a bit of leftover fear known.

"And if I don't agree?" He had the gull to ask, making Alice smile bemusedly.

"Neither of us has that choice."

Alice already knew too well that that wasn't an option; they both tried to desperately call things off in her last life, too. There was no point in wasting energy on things she couldn't change. Her first priority was making sure she wasn't going to have to use her precious revenge time in making sure she was accepted on castle grounds. In order for that to happen, Narcisse had to give orders that she was not to be treated differently from any other royalty residing there. In other words, she had to have both the title and the power—not just the title like in her last life.

Alice continued, "What if I told you that in eight years, you'll be assassinated?" She picked the teacup back up, sipping the cooling liquid while watching his little brain work it's best to keep up with her.