Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Is it possible to feel hurt about things you couldn't understand? To yearn for something you didn't have? To try and reminisce the memories you didn't know about?

This island is something else. I have never been here except for today but I was immediately attached to it that I think I've known this for eternity. It might sound crazy and weird, it might be just my wild imagination playing for my nonstop watching of fairytales and Little Mermaid but... this is something else. I couldn't even put what it feels like into words.

"Are you sure, Gab-Gab?" G's worried voice made me snap back into reality.

"H-Hmm?"

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked me worriedly, "kasi we can go back to the ship and let you get checked by the physician."

"No," I reached for her hand. "I'm fine, really. Dapat you're more worried about Seb, it was him who drowned. I just did my best—even if I'm not good with swimming—to save him. I'm alright."

"Tss, why me mag-worry kay basher?" she asked me with a frowning face but then chuckled afterwards. "Charot only, I sounded like a mean girl. I checked on him na, he's fine he said earlier after he teased me. Basher as usual, for sure he's okay. Crabs naman siya kaya keriboom niya mag-swim."

I chuckled. I gripped my cousin's hand tighter that she took it as a sign and sat beside me.

"What's the matter, Gab-Gab? You're making me worried. You've been quiet for a while now, staring at the lagoon. What is it? You know naman 'di ba na you call tell me anything?"

"It's silly, G." I mumbled, still staring at the lagoon. "I have never been in this place. I've seen this in photos before but that's it. However, when we got inside and I saw that ship below and heard about Isabelle and Leandro I don't know why but my heart..."

I touched my chest and rested my head on her shoulder.

"My heart is aching. It felt like I lost something dear to me. I'm sad but at the same time, angry. How could those people of the palace kill the princess and the pirates? How dare them do that? Who gave them the right?!"

We heard the sudden splash of the wild waves on our yacht. We both gasped.

"Nakakaloka naman," she mumbled. "The waves are angry too but I feel you, Gab! I'm super galit din when I heard the princess and the pirate's tale, about the island, the sea witches... it is crazy! They just loved, what's wrong with it?"

I nodded sadly.

"How is it possible I could feel the rage, G?" I asked and touched my racing heart more before claiming the pearl pendant Seb saved for me. "After hearing that story, I wanted to sampal the people around. They're so annoying. Nakakainis!"

I stomped my feet angrily. G laughed and squeezed my hand.

"This island is magical," she mumbled. "We're in the modern world, the island's tale, the sea witches, the pirates and the princess seemed like it could only be found in our wildest imagination. It's fantasy, like you're watching a Disney movie or so. Non-existent, impossible. We could not know for sure if the tale's a fact except for the shipwrecks. It was a proof that maybe, somehow... there's a possibility the tale's true."

"I do believe in fairytales," I mumbled.

"And I do believe in happy endings either," G answered back as we smiled at each other.

"We didn't know how this world works. Maybe there are other entities or people besides us. Maybe they are mermaids, I've seen nga in YouTube na may videos ng sightings ng mermaids. Is it totoo?" I asked curiously.