Chapter 14

Honestly, I don't know anything about hockey

Honestly, I don't know anything about hockey. I am well versed in football, but hockey wasn't really big in Texas. I had dragged Cami with me to come and watch the hockey game because I desperately did not want to go alone. She knew even less than I did. She and I ended up sitting next to a mother and a daughter who were cheering in Spanish. They looked so familiar, they also seemed to know what they were watching.

"Disculpe/Excuse me," I said to the woman next to me. She seemed to be the mother.

"¿Cómo puedo ayudarte querida?/How can I help you darling?" she asked me.

"Mi amigo y yo estamos un poco perdidos en lo que está pasando. ¿Te importaría explicármelo?/My friend and I are a bit lost on what is going on. Would you mind explaining it to me?" I asked her.

"Por supuesto querida/of course darling," she said. "Hay seis posiciones/there are six positions."

"What is she saying?" Cami asked me.

I sighed. "She says that there are six positions."

"Would you like me to explain in English?" she asked in perfect English.

"That would be wonderful," I said.

"You did quite well, for not knowing much Spanish," she told me.

People always assumed that I couldn't speak Spanish. Especially if told that, out of Cami and I, only one of us could speak Spanish.

"Actually, Lili is fluent," Cami stepped in. "I'm the one who can't speak Spanish." She gave the woman a guilty smile.

"My apologies darling," she told me.

"Don't worry about it," I promised her.

"I just assumed that your friend could speak it because..." she started to ramble.

"Ella asumió que no sabías hablar español porque eres una chica blanca y tu amiga es latina./She assumed that you couldn't speak Spanish because you are a white girl and your friend is latina," her daughter leaned over to tell me.

Her mother blushed, and Cami was clueless. "Easy mistake," I promised her.

"Yep, the latina cannot speak Spanish and will forever be a disappointment," Cami said bitterly. "The white girl from Texas can though," Cami said. She basically just confirmed what the daughter told me without realizing it.

"You're from Texas too," I reminded Cami.

"Hi," the daughter said. She stuck out her hand, "I'm Sofia."

"Hello," I said as I shook her hand. "My name is Lili, and this is my best friend, Camille."

"Call me Cami," she told the mother and daughter. She shook both of their hands.

"Nice to meet you girls, my name is Natalia," she told us. I shook her hand. Both women were beautiful, they had gorgeous tanned skin, and brown curly hair to die for. They both had deep blue eyes that somehow did not fit with the familiarity that I was feeling. They were the spitting image of each other.

"So what brought you here?" Sofia asked.

"I write the sports section for the newspaper and my partner is on the team. He wanted one of the articles this month to be about the first hockey game. I told him that we could so long as he could still get good photos from the ice," I said with a shrug. "And I forced this one to come with me," I said, nodding at Cami. "What about you two?"

"My son is on the team," Natalia told me proudly. Sofia rolled her eyes.

"What's his name, maybe I know him," I inquired.

"Josh Miller," Natalia said happily. It was clear how proud she was of her son.

I froze for a second, Cami did not. "Oh my goodness!" Cami feigned innocence. "Lili knows Josh!"

"You do?" Natalia asked happily.

"Yes she does," Cami said, answering for me. "But neither of them have the balls to make a move so they've been doing an awkward dance around each other for a few weeks now." There was a pause in which Sofia raised one eyebrow and assessed me again and Natalia looked stunned. "Pardon my french," Cami apologized for her crude metaphor.

"That is a complete overstatement," I told Sofia and Natalia. "We have met a few times."

"Yeah," Sofia said in a way that indicated that she completely did not believe me. "Met." she thinks taht I have had sex with her twin. This was mortifying. I wish that I had just suffered in silence at the game.

Cami seemed to have caught onto Sofia's not so subtle hint. "Trust me they haven't had sex yet,but not for my lack of trying."

Sofia laughed, and that was when I realized that Sofia and Cami were going to be great friends.

I laughed awkwardly. Josh's mother was sitting beside me, while my best friend and his twin talked about my sex life. "I really don't think that Josh and I are compatible as anything other than friends," I told them.

"That's true," Cami agreed sagely. I knew that she wouldn't leave it there. "Lili doesn't do one night stands."

Sofia snorted and this broke Natalia out of her state of shock. She laughed as well and stress seized my body, making me freeze.

"Oh darling, don't look so tense," Natalia told me. She placed a hand on my shoulder and I instantly relaxed a little. "I know that my son is no angel. Honestly I think that he would be lucky to have you," she whispered the last bit to me.

I laughed, the stress away. "Thank you?" I said unsure if it was a complement.

"Do you want to learn the game?" she asked as she nodded toward the hockey game in progress.

"That would be fantastic," I told her.

Natalia explained hockey to Cami and I as best she could. There were a lot of complicated rules, but I think that I grasped it enough to write an article on the game. The game finished and Yale won 14-2. It was a blow out and I could tell that the team was excited. Josh was quite good; he probably scored 8 out of 14 goals, Cooper scored about 5 or 6 as well. Danny was also very good, he blocked more than 79 shots on goal.

"I should go home and get started on the writing," I told Natalia nd Sofia as we started to leave. "It was so lovely meeting you."

"It was lovely meeting you as well," Natalia told me. "I hope that we see each other again, soon."

I smiled. "I would love that."

Cami and I left Natalia and Sodia after saying goodbye. We walked to the car making small talk about the game. We climbed into my jeep and as soon as she close the door I interrupted her sentence.

"What were you thinking?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Cami asked, suddenly defensive and loud.

"You talked about my and Josh's sex life in front of his mother and his twin sister!" I said equally loudly.

"You and Josh's sex life?" she inquired.

"The hypothetical one."

"So you've thought about it?" she inquired.

"I-... What- You- ...Ugh. No changing the subject!" I stammered.

"It was funny," Cami said as we both cooled down. "Anyways they were super cool about it, although Natalia seemed stunned for a moment."

We both laughed as I pulled out of the parking spot.

Word Count: 1190