Chapter 16

"Are you sure that you want to publish this?" Cami asked me

"Are you sure that you want to publish this?" Cami asked me. We were sitting together on my bed and Cami was reading my article about the football game.

"Yes," I agreed. The article highlights some places where the football team could have improved. Needless to say, it was a lengthy article.

"I feel like you should write that they won somewhere in here," Cami said a little bit unsurely.

"Good point," I agreed.

I edit the piece a little bit and it highlights their win. "That is better for sure," she tells me.

I laugh, "thanks."

My phone rang from the bedside table. I checked it and it was an unknown number. I picked it up anyway as Cami continued to scroll through the hockey article.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey Lili," the voice said. "It's Danny."

"Oh hi Danny!" I said.

"Danny Fisher?" Cami hissed.

I nodded, and she mouthed the word 'lucky'.

"So I need a favor," he prefaced.

"Nothing," I said. Then I realized that I wasn't sure that I wasn't sure what the favor was. "What do you need?"

"I need a sitter for Mila," he said. He sounded exhausted and desperate.

"I would be happy to," I told him.

"Happy to what?" Cami hissed. She was the nosiest person I had ever met. I waved away her concern.

"Thank you so much," he said. "I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

"I know," I agreed. "When do you need me to come over?"

"Now?" he asked.

"Oh," I said. I climbed off of my bed. "Okay, I can be there in ten minutes."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," he said. "Josh said that he would be here, but he is running late, I guess. I cannot get a hold of him."

"It's okay," I promised. "Don't worry about it."

He sighed in relief. "Thank you Lili," she said again. "I'll see you in ten- Mila no!" There was a clattering on the other end of the phone and then the line went dead.

I sighed, poor Danny she sounded really overwhelmed.

"I have to go," I told Cami.

"You are going to abandon me to go hang out with Danny Fisher instead?" she asked.

"No-" I started to say. Then I remembered that I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about Mila. "Yes..."

"What about Josh?" Cami asked.

"Nothing is happening with Josh," I told Cami as she followed me out of my room and towards the door where our shoes were.

"I cannot believe that you are leaving me!" she sounded exasperated, but she wasn't actually mad. She was just mad because her flavor of the week hadn't texted her back in six hours.

"Sorry, love," I said.

"When will you be back?" she asked.

"I'm not sure," I said honestly. I grabbed my keys. Before she could say anything else I started to slip out the door, "I love you, bye!" I called.

I went quickly down the stairs and to the car. I got to the Hockey House in seven minutes and I just walked in without knocking. Nobody answered the door except Danny and he seemed quite occupied when he hung up the phone.

"Danny?" I called out.

Danny came around the corner of the hall. He was holding a book bag and he looked utterly exhausted. "Thank you again Lili," Danny said.

"Mila's in the living room," he told me. He slid his shoes on. "There is a list of instructions, you can put her down for a nap. Honestly do whatever you want, as long as she's alive I don't care."

I laughed, but he wasn't smiling as much as he should have been. He must really be desperate. I can't believe that Josh just ditched. Although the boys did seem to be running a Full House type of operation. "Okay."

"Bye Mila, Daddy's leaving!" he called.

"Bye Daddy!" I heard Mila's adorable voice call back.

"I'll see you at six Lili," Danny told me.

"Bye Danny," I said as I slipped off my shoes and he slid out the door.

Mila came around the corner. "Lili!" she said. I was a little bit surprised that she remembered me.

"Hi! Honey!" I said enthusiastically.

"I want to show you my new Barbie!' she insisted. She took my hand and pulled me toward the living room."

***

I was sitting on the boys' couch reading a book that I had left in my car. Mila was taking a nap and it was around 4:30.

Was I a little bit embarrassed about the book? Yes. Was I glad that the book was titled Financial Affairs and not something that screamed smut? Yes. Was I glad that the cover was discreet? Very much so. So long as nobody read any page of it or the blurb, it would be fine. But the guys in this house did not seem like big readers to me.

I bit my lip as I continued to read, the part was getting especially... climactic.

The young, secy billionaire pushed the younger receptionist against his desk.

"What are you doing?" she asked nervously.

"I am going to take you on this desk," he informed her, his deep voice ringing in her ears making her shiver. "And then I will take you against that wall, then in my car, and then in my penthouse. Again and again and again." Her body was pressed flush against him and he pushed the papers that he had spent all day working onto the floor. She shuttered with anticipation.

He leaned down and she was forced to lay against the desk. He bent down and pressed feverish kisses against her neck. He hit the spot under her chin, with a moan from the young woman.

BANG!

Suddenly the door busted open and a body fell to the floor with a groan. I jumped at the noise and then I threw my book away from me and got off of the couch. I raced over to the person who had fallen into the house to find that the figure was

"Josh?"

Word Count: 1002