XX: A day in advance

Start from the beginning

They decided to ride again after a little rest. Aragorn hoped to make it to the settlement on time so that they would not have to sleep outdoors. However, they still had a long way to go. This meant they would have to set up camp. They rode out of the valley onto the moors. They were riding for a day, and it was midnight when they reached a clear opening secured enough to camp. The heat from the campfire seemed to be sucked into the frigid air before ever reaching her frozen hands. She had already taken a seat close to the fire, trying to warm her cold hands.

Arwen was securing the horses, Legolas went to gather some more wood after he had ignited the campfire, and Aragorn scanned the area to ensure that everything was secured. She could hear her stomach complaining about some food, and it seemed that the two hobbits were hungry as well. It was getting colder as midnight was upon them, and stepping away from the fire to get something to eat wasn't in her plans. Her gaze spaced out, watching the flames of the fire as her thoughts slowly unfolded.

"I'm still intrigued as to how you rode my steed," Legolas said abruptly as he returned and laid the wood between them. He sat beside her casually, "as Aragorn stated, not even he could ride him."

"Is that how you elves are all the time? Monitoring in on private discussions?" she said, sarcasm in her voice and a chilly glare in her eyes.

"Almost always," he interrupted her off, "you don't know anything about Elves."

She leaned forward and caught his gaze with blue-grey eyes. "No, I'm not familiar with Elves. I have never desired or required knowledge. So quit asking me the same question." she delivered.

"I will eventually," Legolas said, "but by that time you will be acquainted with our kin."

"That is one of the reasons I dislike Elves. Acting as though they are much wiser just because they live a few years longer than humans." She judged, her cheeks flushed with rage.

Legolas smiled slowly. "A few years older... My age is comparable to that of an oak tree. Even if you wanted to, you will never achieve 1/5 of my age."

"Wait you can be that old?" Xena asked him keeping her stare pinned against his "The book you gave me said that you are immortal."

"The book was right. I am considered to be one of the youngest and I am almost five hundred (500) years old. Arwen is almost two thousand and seven hundred (2700)." he defined, as he crossed his feet together.

She speculated that she found herself dumb in the sense that her words ceased to flow, ceased to flow since she had never imagined such an age was conceivable. Xena locked her focus on Arwen, who was engaged in an extended discussion with the hobbits. They were scheduled to have fruits for supper, but they were debating over how a decent meal should be prepared. However, Arwen was a persuasive speaker, and it did not take her long to convince them to eat the fruits in exchange for a decent lunch in the village the next day.

Following that, both parties ceased communication. Pippin brought each of them an apple, and they began eating it and marvelling at the flickering flames. It did not take long for both of them to zone out and ruminate on their own concerns. Legolas was ready to depart when he noticed something resting against him. He dropped his sight and saw Xena dozing on his shoulder. His gaze remained above her as he took in every aspect. Xena piqued his interest. He had queries that were unanswerable.

Aragorn touched him on the shoulder to rouse him awake, having just returned from surveying the area. He'd discovered Legolas with his eyes closed. Elves only sleep when they are weary. They hadn't battled or travelled long enough for Legolas to get sleepy. As he drew closer, he saw Xena clenching against Legolas. Legolas had apparently loaned her his cloak. Because it was covering her whole body. He cast a perplexed look towards Legolas, waiting for him to react.

"Man cerig?" (What are you doing?) Aragorn asked in a very low tone.

Legolas cracked a smile and responded, "A van?" (With what?").

"Uhunc ylf ernedui..." (Did you drink much ...) he said as the elf's actions were confusing.

"Û! Ego!" (It isn't so! Be Gone!) the elf answered, but he didn't move. He grinned and gazed up at Aragorn, demonstrating that he would not move or disturb her sleep. The ranger shook his head and walked away to rest.

The fluttering of leaves and the silence of the night had made her drowsy, but something seemed odd now. Legolas' familiar scent grew too familiar, lulling her into a peaceful deep slumber. It didn't take long for her to nod off against the elf she said she didn't like.

Legolas, on the other hand, was unfamiliar with the scenario unfolding in front of him. Indeed, there were constantly maiden in pursuit of him, elven maiden attempting to elicit his response by displaying their finest behaviour. Xena has nothing in common with those maidens. She was self-assured, forceful, and difficult to disagree with. She could easily fight him if she had to, but her chances of winning would be slim. And now that powerful maiden had slept out next to him. It was ironic to witness her happily slipping off.

The rest of the group eventually fell asleep as well. They would only stop for a few hours before continuing on their way to the settlement. The objective was to gather all of the necessary materials and return to Rivendell the following day.

((Upcoming Chapter Twenty-One))

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!