XX: A day in advance

Start from the beginning

"Waking up in an unfamiliar dimension after death," Arwen said, "I cannot fathom the concept of it, much alone live it."

The only ones that kept their distance were Legolas and Xena. The prince of Mirkwood remained at the front guiding them through the path and Xena followed last observing the world around them. She looked at the two hobbits that were ahead of her.

"Are we not going to stop! We should eat!" Pippin grumbled as he rubbed his belly, feeling hungry. He gazed back towards Xena "Aren't you hungry?"

Her eyes twinkled. She looked behind her to note, that she was the only one, the hobbit was talking to. Normally she would avoid answering any questions. But it would be better than having her mind wheeling around memories and thoughts, that made her uncomfortable. "Me? Not really, it's still early!" She responded with a soft dark tone.

"What early?" Pippin rose his voice confused "Merry she thinks that it's already early to eat?"

Merry stepped back and gazed at her and Pippin "Oh! We have already missed two of our meals. Never say that it's early to eat."

"We will camp around evening," informed Aragorn who would not want to hear anything about the second breakfast.

"Elven horses are capable of causing you problems, my Lady," Aragorn stated as he unexpectedly found himself walking ahead of Xena. "Particularly those from Mirkwood. They are inextricably linked to their masters."

"I've been there, done that," Xena muttered. "I rode Legolas' stallion without incident."

"I hope that is not a slight against the elves," Aragorn said with mock indignation.

"Nothing of the kind," Xena said. "They continue to test my patience."

"This is an extremely unusual reaction to elicit from elves," the ranger observed as he gazed at Legolas "...most of them!"

"Then you already know how unpleasant they are," she said, seeing his stare on Legolas.

Aragorn chuckled at her cleverness; he could see now why she had captivated Legolas. "I have," he said, "I once attempted to ride Legolas' horse with his consent, and it flung me a few yards away. How did you manage to keep everything under control?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I was in a rush to depart Rivendell and made no attempt to familiarise myself with the horse. " With a short chuckle, she said.

"You have much to learn," Aragorn said, "but one of them is not how to wield a sword and ride a horse."

"More elvish wisdom? From a human?" Xena quizzed while arching an eyebrow.

"I grew up around here; I am familiar with their customs," the ranger said, recalling the past years vividly.

"Then I will be unable to speak ill of your homeland," Xena replied with a grin.

"It is possible," Aragorn said, "but they are more likely to seek leverage over us."

"Those who would do so would be unwise," Xena said firmly.

"So be it," Aragorn stated, "but be mindful of the implications of your deeds."

They converse for many long minutes before succumbing to the stillness. It was the ranger's first opportunity to speak with the human. He could now see why she had captured everyone's attention. He agreed with Gandalf that they should include her in the mission of destroying the one ring. Nonetheless, he was concerned about the influence she was already having on Legolas. Aragorn had not yet reached a decision, but he had seen a few things that were alarming.