21. law and order

cw; oral sex, kinda dom!bucky also i know this isn't now how law firms work but for the sake of fiction let's pretend it is

"you told me 'bout your past

thinkin' your future was me"

———
C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  O N E
law and order
———

Bucky had been awake since he heard the mailman as 7.30 in the morning.

He had received a text from Matt Murdock the night before telling him to check the mail in relation to the job offer, which Bucky had already declined, but Matt was relentless.

Dear Mr Barnes,

I understand you have already declined my offer for an apprenticeship, but I am a lawyer, convincing people is what I do.

I am hoping to expand my business, but am unable to do so with the low staffing problem. I am very particular in who I choose to work with, and whenever I come across someone I wish to employ, I get my heart set on them working with me.

I cannot explain why, James, but you seem very different to the rest of college students I have met before.

I would once again like to offer you a job in my firm, on the basis that I train you to become a lawyer, and you take the full position once your training is complete. I truly think you would fit this role, Mr Barnes, and I would love to be the one to show you this.

I looked into the training a lot more since we last spoke, and just as suspected we can completely do your training remotely, meaning no additional education necessary. I understand you are partially through your business course at college in New York, but I also understand that college is expensive. I would offer you the trainee position on a full salary as I would any fully trained person, along with your training free of charge.

I do hope you reconsider, but if not, I completely understand.

Hope to hear from you back soon,

Matthew Murdock.

Bucky read the letter over and over again.

He then read through his other mail, all of which seemed to be bills.

The unpaid bills left by his father were stacking up at an alarming rate, and the money Matt managed to save was draining fast.

Matt was right, college was expensive. Bucky didn't know if he could afford it anymore. He didn't even know if they could still afford to keep the house, never mind Bucky moving back to New York to go to school.

But a full lawyer salary? That was something he could be doing with right now.

Just now, Bucky had no income. He thought the family had enough money for him to visit for a few weeks without having to worry about that too much. But now, he looked closer at every price tag in the store, limiting what groceries he could buy before heading to the register. Just choosing whatever he wanted had been something Bucky took for granted his entire life. He didn't realise just how much until recently.

He thought of Goldie, still sleeping peacefully in his bed.

Last week she was a mess. She came home crying about her mom, and Bucky held her while she sobbed into his shoulder. And then she went into the bathroom and found scissors and cut off all her hair, right to her shoulder blades. It was strange seeing her without french braids every single day, but the new look suited her. And Bucky found it extremely attractive.