13. the truth

"I didn't have it in myself to go with grace

'Cause when I'd fight, you used to tell me I was brave"

——
C H A P T E R  T H I R T E E N
the truth
——

It took a lot less time than Bucky anticipated to sort out all of the legal stuff.

"It means a lot to my family that you managed to sort this out, so thank you." Bucky thanked Matt as he went to leave his office for what he hoped would be the last time.

Matt chuckled, "It's no problem, honestly."

"I have no idea how you managed it, honestly." Bucky said with a small laugh, picking up the last of the papers spread over Matts desk he was to take with him.

"I'm a very good lawyer." He said with a smirk.

"You sure are."

"What are you studying, again?" Matt asked, walking Bucky out to the door.

"Uh, business, in New York. I'm only in town for the summer."

"Mhm." Matt replied, "If you want my opinion, I think you'd make a very good lawyer."

Goldie had barley left her house the week following returning home to her father being in an awfully bad mood— And he had been in a bad mood, a drunk mood, ever since.

Bucky had called everyday, asking if she was gonna come back over. Every time she said no.

Bucky presumed that she still thought that he needed time to think about how to handle the situation with his father alone, but no matter how many times he told his girlfriend he missed her, she always found an excuse to stay home.

Bucky just didn't know why.

One of the days she said she was sick, another thay she had last minute collage applications to complete.

Bucky offered to come over and take care of her when she was sick, and he offered to help pit with the applications— And he wouldn't went over if he knew where she lived, but he had no idea.

He didn't even have an idea who her uncle was who she lived with, or he could've asked around for the address.

He asked Goldie for her stress, but she said he didn't need to come over and that she was perfectly fine.

Bucky had no choice but to respect what he was saying.

But he didn't know what was actually going inside of Goldies household.

"Where are you?"

A loud voice and heavy footsteps caused Goldie to flinch as she sat tucked away with a book in the safety of her bedroom.

Her father never came in here, in fact he rarely ever came up the stairs.

His study and the kitchen were both downstairs, and both avoided the living area completely, neither even stepping foot in there since Goldies mom left.