19. the first visitor

"Cut people out like tags on my clothing

I end up all alone but I still keep hoping

I won't be scared to let someone know me

Life feels so monotone but I still keep hoping"

-

---
C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N
the first visitor
---

It was nearing one in the morning after the festival, and there were still quite a lot of people still at the diner.

Daisy had managed to escape her parents, and joined them at around 11.30, so she, Wanda, Steve, Bucky and Goldie all sat in the same booth that Goldie and Bucky were previously in on their own, just talking to each other, drinking the beers Steve had agreed to give them since the place had quietened down to an extent.

"Lincoln said he's coming next week, he booked flights. If you all want to meet him you can't be weird."

"We're not weird." Wanda rolled her eyes.

"Uhhh, yes you are." Daisy said, "I've lost count of how many times you've told Golds and Barnes, 'Oh get a room' or asked Goldie how big Buckys-"

Goldie choked on her beer, and Bucky couldn't stop laughing, "Okay that's enough Daisy." She said.

"That's what you guys talk about?"

"Wait a second, why do you guys talk about Bucky, do I not get spoke about?" Steve interrupted.

"Oh, yeah you get spoke about a lot." Daisy rolled her eyes, "We know every single goddamn detail of your sex life with Wanda, Rogers."

"Every detail?" Steve asked, eyes wide.

"Oh yeah, I would have had no idea you were into that stuff if Wanda hadn't described it all."

"Oh god." Steve blushed, Wanda just laughed.

"That was between us!" He joked, brushing off the slight embarrassment he felt, they were all his friends so he wasn't that bothered the more he thought about it.

"And Barnes, before you ask, no. Goldie doesn't say anything. And I don't want to know. You guys fuck as much as rabbits, if she was to tell us everything we'd be there listening for a month."

"Did you just call me a rabbit, Johnson?"

"Yes. And take it as an insult."

"I still can't believe you bagged Bucky Barnes. And didn't know who he was when you met him." Daisy laughed to Goldie. "He was practically god in high school."

"You talk about me like I'm not here." Bucky rolled his eyes. "But thank you for calling me a god. Much nicer than being called a rabbit."

"I pretend you're not here."

Daisy and Bucky had developed a friendly dynamic where they pretended to hate each other, but loved each other really. It was good for Goldie because she was happy Daisy got on with everyone, and Daisy fit right in, despite the fact she had spent less time with the group than everyone else had due to spending a lot of the summer away on holiday visiting family.

The diner got quieter and quieter as the night went on, and by 2.30 it was mostly empty, just their group and a few others scattered around the booths.

When the bell rung, indicating that someone else had entered the diner, Steve turned his head to look at the door, a frown highlighting his features when the figure walked into the building.