43 (part three)

Avery POV

My stomach turned, I suddenly felt like I couldn't breath. I just needed a minute.

I sighed as I started to bunch up the dress, before making a swift exit to the dressing room as I stumbled with the zipper as tears clouded my vision. "Av- Avery" I heard Sam call out as she pushed the door open.

"Sam" I said breathless, "get me out of this fucking dress, get it off of me" I said as tears started to stream down my face before she nodded, undoing the zipper as I fell out of the dress. She quickly pulled me into her, "everything is okay, take a deep breath" she said trying to sooth me.

"Avery!" Hai said as she ran in with Lane following behind her, "what happened?"

Sam sighed, "the Jones' family just knows how to push buttons" she said as she shrugged, tucking some loose hair behind my ear as I sniffled. "Did you bring your vape with you?" I asked as I wiped the wetness from my cheeks.

"Avery James, please do not pay any mind to your grandmother" Sam said as she dug into her purse, before handing me her vape, "she's literally brainwashed by your grandfather" she said as she crossed her arms. I cleared my throat as I refused to make eye contact, "not a word of this to your father, about any of this" I said before sucking in the nicotine.

"About my grandmother, or the vape" I said as softly. "Who was your grandmother talking about anyway?" Hai asked softly as I cringed. I sighed, "I uh, I was previously engaged to the guy I was dating in high school, after being together for quite sometime"

"And apparently there are still some people who are upset about the whole situation" I said as I shrugged. "I think everyone is just upset that Ryan never got closure, after a long term relationship and an engagement Avery just walked away" Sam said as I rolled my eyes, "yo, who's side are you on?" I asked defensively, before sucking in the nicotine again.

"I'm not siding with anyone Avery" Sam said as she shook her head, "I just, I know you and Ryan together and individually" she said softly. "But that doesn't make me change how I feel about you and Marshall"

"I am you and Marshall's biggest supporter" she said, "I know Marshall would literally do anything for you, but so would Ryan" she said as I sighed, "there are two sides to every story" she said as I shook my head.

"No, there's actually three" I said as I let out a small scoff, "mine, his and the truth"

--

"Are you sure you wanna be here, without dad?" Hai asked as we walked into Concrete Cowboy. I nodded, "everything will be fine Hai, I just wanna grab a drink with y'all" I said as I walked over to the bar.

I quickly took another puff of the vape as my nerves felt calmed, before I made eye contact with the bartender, James. He let out a small smile, "hey stranger" he said as he made his way over, "dry martini extra olives?" he asked as I nodded, before he started to make the drink.

"Its good to see you back, I haven't seen you or Sam in a while" he said softly, "how have you been, I heard through the grapevine you got engaged" he said as my face flushed as I showed him my ring as he let out a chuckle, "congratulations to the lucky fella" he said before sliding me the drink.

I sighed as I took a sip of my drink, before running my fingers through my hair. I turned from the bar, seeing Ryan in front of me, "Ace" he said softly as I froze realizing my flight or fright response was trying to kick in. He cleared his throat, "you out, celebrating your birthday?" he asked as he leaned in closer to me. I shook my head, "just in town, visiting" I said as I refused to make eye contact, as I took another puff of the vape.

Ryan scooted closer, as James made eye contact with me, clearly making sure I was okay. I nervously chewed at my lip as he continuously tried to make conversation with me, "you look beautiful as always" he said softly.

I gave a sympathetic smile before puffing the vape again, as I looked for the girls, finally breaking free of a dreaded conversation. "Samantha, did you know Ryan was going to be here?" I asked as I pulled her into me. She shook her head, "did he say anything to you?"

I sighed, "he definitely tried" I said as I took another sip of my drink.

--