15

Avery POV
2 months later - April, 2020

Marshall sighed, "I'm sorry, I- I don't really wanna postpone your trip but we may have to baby" he said cautiously. He watched me intently seeing the upset come over me, knowing he was less than thrilled about it.

"I just, wanna keep you safe Avery" he said softly. I nodded, l- I understand Marshall" she said as her voice cracked. My heart broke the longer the phone call went on, "I have to go, Marsh"

"Baby, p- please don't end the phone call like this" he begged. I refused to make eye contact as the tears welled in my eyes, "what do you want me to say Marshall, I know none of this is your fault but we haven't seen each other in two months"

"Please don't cry baby, l- let me take care of it" he said as I wiped the wetness from my cheeks. I nodded, "I love you Marshall"

Avery looked down, "what do you want me to say?" she asked as I could see the tears welling up in her eyes, "I know, none of this is your fault but I haven't seen you in almost two months and now shit wants to start hitting the fan?" she asked obviously annoyed. "Please, don't cry" I said, "let me take care of it" I said as she wiped the wetness from her cheeks.

"I love you, Marsh" she said, "you more" I said before hanging up, and putting my head in my hands.

--

Avery POV

Sam sighed, "we're being mandated to close, we're not an essential company" she said as I nervously fumbled with my fingers. "What's gonna happen?" I asked, obviously knowing she didn't have the answer.

She tapped her pen on the desk, "everything will be okay, we'll get through this" she said as she pulled me into a tight hug as tears welled up in my eyes. "We already have a website, and a way to process orders" she said, "so everything will just be electronic, until everything goes back to normal"

I nodded, "yeah, yeah" I said before my phone started to ring, seeing Marshall's name across the screen, "hello?" I said as I answered the call. "Hey, baby" he said softly on the other end of the line. I let out a small smile, "its so good to hear your voice right now" I said as I wiped the wetness from my cheeks, and walked to the back office.

"What's going on?" he asked as his tone got more serious. "Nothing you can fix for me, everything around us is being shut down because of this virus Marsh" I said, "only essential businesses can be open right now, and we're not essential"

Marshall sighed, "I arranged a flight for you, so whenever your ready to come to Michigan, get those bags packed baby" he said softly. "Really?" I asked as my anxiety eased, "I can be there tomorrow if I want?" I asked as Marshall heard the excitement in my voice. He let out a small laugh, "yes baby, if that's what you want"

"I love you"

"I love you more" he said before I hung up and sighed in relief. "How's Marshall doing, with all this?" she asked as she continued to type on her computer. "uh, getting through like everyone else" I said as I shrugged, "Marshall actually, booked me a flight for Michigan in the morning" I said nervously.

"Why would he do that, do y'all even see what's happening right now?" she asked, kinda frantic.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I mean, as far as the boutique is concerned there is nothing we can do, we are mandated to close and I can work from there" I said, "but Marshall and I don't want to be apart any longer than we have to, and I fly on a private jet, not coach" I said as I crossed my arms.

"This is a serious situation" Sam said as she put her head in her hands. "What's the difference of me being quarantined alone in my apartment or me being quarantined at Marshall's house?" I asked as I shrugged, waiting for an answer.

"Do whatever you want Avery, you always have" she said as she walked out of the boutique.

--

April 21, 2020

Sam and I still hadn't spoke since yesterday's fight, which was nothing like our nature. I sighed, out of my element, as I walked around my apartment aimlessly trying to get ready for my flight but I couldn't help but check my phone over and over hoping she'd reply to one of my many texts or calls.

I zipped up my luggage, as my phone started to ring, seeing mama across the screen. "Hello?" I said as I answered the call. "Hey honey, I just wanted to make sure you were being safe with all this virus talk goin' around. I heard the store is gonna be closed for a bit" she said on the other end of the call.

I cleared my throat, "yeah, I'm actually about to catch a flight to Michigan right now" I said as I grabbed everything and headed to the car. "To be with Marshall?" My mom asked as sighed, "do you see anything wrong with that?" I asked curiously. "I mean, this may not be the safest time" she said "but If you want to be with Marshall then go honey, but be as careful as you can be"

"Sam pitched a fit about it yesterday, and we haven't talked since"

"Avery James, I don't think this is something to fight about" My mom said softly. "Samantha has so much love for you, she just wants to see you happy. And I know Marshall would never let anything hurt you" my mom said with a small laugh, "give her a second to cool down, cause you know she can't go long without talking to you"

"Yeah" I said as under my breathe. "I love you baby girl, let me know when you get to Michigan" she said as she hung up before I started driving. I sighed as my anxiety eased, knowing in a few hours I would be with Marshall.

I pulled up at a red light and grabbed my phone out of the console, and scrolled through spotify as I looked for a new song. The light eventually turned green, and my foot came in contact with the accelerator as I started driving ahead, but out of the corner of my eye I saw a car coming straight for the side of me. There was no time to swerve, there was no time to react.

Our cars came in contact, and I could feel myself loose control of the car. Honestly everything happened in an instant but felt like it happened in slow motion. I could feel the car roll, continuously, and the airbags were deployed as the windows started to bust. When I felt my car stop, I fluttered my eyes as I let out a groan, "ma'am are you okay?" a guy asked as I heard sirens in the vicinity.

"911 is right around the corner!" I heard someone say in the background.

What was probably seconds felt like forever, trapped under god knows what. Tears started to stream down my face as I tried to keep calm but no one knew I was here, no one knew what just happened.

"Ma'am, I'm Gage, I'm a paramedic, are you able to move?" he asked. I didn't respond, I was in to much shock to get any words out. "Guys, I think she's stuck in the seat belt" Gage said as the paramedics pried the car door open and cut the seat belt, before putting me on gurney.

I closed my eyes as I put my head back, "ma'am you have to stay awake, stay with me" he kept yelling. "Can you tell me your name?" he asked as they lifted me onto the ambulance. I cleared my throat, trying to swallow the lump that was stuck, "come on talk to me" Gage said as he grabbed my hand.

"Call, Marshall Mathers" I said before I closed my eyes again.