29

TW: Miscarriage, Depression, Grief

Avery POV

The silence was deafening, as there were just looks of pain and sympathy exchanged between Marshall and I. "Ave-" Marshall started to say before he was interrupted by a soft knock on the door before it opened, "Ms. Jones" Dr. Caddel said as she gave us a small, sympathetic smile as she sat next to the er gurney. 

"I am so sorry for y'all's loss" she said, as Marshall and I maintained eye contact elsewhere. "I'm  going to admit you to the labor and delivery floor for observation, just for precaution so we can keep a close eye on you while you go through this" she said as Marshall sighed, "is there an explanation as to why this happened?" he asked as Dr. Caddel shook her head. 

"At the moment, no, that's also why we're admitting her" she said, "when y'all had your appointment a couple weeks ago everything looked perfect, it doesn't make sense" she said as she shrugged. "I was taking a look back in your chart, and it states you were in a serious accident only a couple months ago"

I shrugged, "what does the car accident have to do with anything?" I asked curiously. Dr. Caddel cleared her throat, "let's get you guys transported upstairs, and settled, and then I'm gonna have some tests and results rushed" she said softly before walking out, closing the door behind her.

-- 

"Ms. Jones, are you in any pain right now, nauseated, do you think you need any pain medication?" the nurse asked as she continued to type on the computer. I shrugged, "maybe some abdominal pain" I said as I pointed, as Marshall overlooked nervously. 

She nodded as the door opened, "Ms. Jones, Mr. Mathers" Dr. Caddel said as she walked in. We both looked up waiting for an answer, waiting for anything at this point. "After doing a little more research, and speaking with the doctor who was assigned to your case back during the accident" she said, "he informed me that, that accident was quite traumatic, so there was a lot of bruising and wounds when you arrived to the hospital" 

We both nodded, "so, if there was that much bruising on your body on the outside, I can only imagine on the inside as well" she said, "he informed me, he did an internal scan to make sure there was no internal bleeding, but your body is still in the healing process from that accident" 

"What does all that have to do with the baby, and causing the miscarriage?" Marshall asked softly. "Her body is still in trauma shock, its only been a couple months" she said, "it was trying to grow the placenta for the baby but it was having developmental issues because of the shock" 

"We'll keep you admitted for a few days, and help you go through this. But I highly recommend letting your body heal before trying again" she said. "If you guys have any questions, or need anything please do not hesitate to let us know" Dr. Caddel said as Marshall nodded, before she walked out, closing the door behind her. 

I couldn't even begin to explain how empty I felt to Marshall. The numbness, disbelief, grief, confusion or anger. I felt like I was giving us both something we didn't know we wanted, and then it was ripped away from us in a matter of seconds. 

Marshall got up, sitting on the bed next to me as he pulled me into him tightly. I looked up to him with bloodshot eyes, "this is all my fault" I said as more tears began to fall uncontrollably. "No, no, do not fucking say that" he said sternly, "do you understand me?" he said as he pulled me into him tighter. 

 I shook my head as inaudible words came out, "its my fault!" I said as Marshall wiped the tears that were streaming down my face, "baby girl, please" he said trying to hold back tears himself. 

"We both didn't even know, we wanted something so bad until we had it, and I ripped it from the both of us" I said softly, "I'm sorry" I said as I shook my head. Marshall pressed his forehead against mine, "this is painful, losing a child is fucking painful" he said softly, "but it hurts more watching you think you did it"