01

Avery POV
The Next Weekend - November 24, 2019

"Hey darlin' you ready for the game?" dad said as he opened my office door. I tried diverting my focus from the conversation as I continued to touch up my curls. I let out a breath, "yeah, why?" I asked. 

He leaned against the doorway, shoving his hands into his pockets as the silence grew between us. Dad cleared his throat, cutting the tension. "There's just a whole lot of press downstairs, and Issac's waiting on the field for ya honey"

Bothered, I rolled my eyes. "Ace, you are the face that everyone wants to see baby doll" he said, trying to reassure me. But after hearing dad say the same shit more than a handful of times, I've become numb to it all. 

"Alright, whatever dad" I said as I grabbed my shoes, walking out. I walked along the catwalk, shoes in hand as I watched people pour into the stadium. "Av, Avery!!" I heard, knowing that voice. I turned, letting out a smile as Lucas stopped the golf cart along side me. "Jeez, I can't leave you alone for two dang seconds. Why do you have no shoes on girl?" he asked playfully. 

I rolled my eyes, "stop being a dick, its a long story" I said. Lucas let out a exaggerated sigh as he pointed to the empty seat on the golf cart, "come on, where am I taking you?"

I happily hopped into the golf cart, "you're freaking God sent Luke, will you take me over to the field?" 

He let out a belly laugh, "I- I don't know about all that" he said as he exaggerated his tone. "I was just on my way to pick up some guests that are here for the game, but I saw a pretty girl and had to see what she was doing"

My face turned red, "Luke" I said softly. "What, Avery?" he said softly. 

"So, you picked me up instead of our famous guest?" I questioned. "Don't tell my boss, she'll kill me" Lucas said as he shot me a wink, trying to hide his smile. "Oh, you hush" I said as I shook my head. 

"I mean, come on Avery. You're you" he said as he sighed, tightening his grip on the steering wheel. "You make me want to be a better man, for you. I'd do just about anything for you" he said softly. 

"And, you also had no shoes on honey" he said before playfully grabbing my leg, and squeezing it. Lucas cleared his throat, "y- you headed to the field to see Issac?" he asked. I nodded, quickly changing the subject, "you have any idea who the famous person is?" 

Lucas shook his head, "not yet, but I'll find out when you get your ass off my gold cart" he said as I rolled my eyes. He playfully wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into him, "can I have some sugar before you and go hug on another man?" 

"Lucas.." I said softly. "Just a peck, baby" he said as I leaned in to kiss him. A small smile curved his lips, "I'll see you later, honey" he said as he shot me a wink, before I headed onto the field. 

I remember when I wanted to become involved with the Cowboys, my grandfather always told me to never mix business with pleasure. But things changed when it was convenient for him and his business, when he wanted to set me up with Issac.

--

Marshall POV

I sighed leaning over the railing, looking out onto the field. It was then, that I caught a glimpse of her. "Avery" I said under my breath, quickly feeling a weighted sensation in my chest. I fell back into my chart, running my hands over my face as I felt my stomach turn. 

She was hugging a football player, blowing him kisses and the press was soaking up every damn minute of it. I knew I was taking  big chance, flying out here thinking I would casually run into her in a packed stadium for a second time 

I was embarrassed.

"Paul" I said softly. "Yeah, Marsh" he answered, continuing to scroll on his phone.

"What the actual fuck, am I doing here?" I asked, zoning out. "What are you talking about man, you're here to see Avery" Paul said as the confusion took over him. I shook my head, "I'm such an idiot, I was so wrapped up in wanting to see her again. How could I think a girl like that was single?"

"How do you know that?" Paul asked. I let out another sigh, "I- I just saw her on the field, her and one of the football players were kissing and shit"

Paul dismissed my comment, "Marshall, come on dude. You know how all that publicity stuff works, and besides all that, you're Eminem"

"I- I don't know who I was trying to fool, I'm old enough to be her dad" I said, grabbing at the back of my neck anxiously. Paul cleared his throat, "I- I know I wasn't all for this to begin with but let her tell you if she's in a relationship, or if you're just being an idiot" he said trying to reason the issue.

"Give her a chance before you turn into the recluse you are" he said as I sighed, before silence lingered between us. "Seriously Marshall, this is the first girl I've seen you remotely interested in, in quite a while" 

--

I anxiously bounced my leg, unable to focus on the game. "The game is almost over" I said as I anxiously pursed my lips together. Paul sighed, "dude relax, she may not even know you're here"

I stood up, shoving my hands in my pockets. "Where you going, Marsh?" he asked as he furrowed his eyebrows together. "I- I just need some air" I said, walking out of the private suite and down to the concession stands. 

I needed to get this shit off my mind. Maybe it was for the best if I didn't see her again, or get the chance to ask her out. I quickly grabbed a Diet Coke and some popcorn before heading back to the suite - stopping in my tracks.

"No turkey leg today, Mr. Mathers?" Avery asked as she let out a playful smile. I nervously cleared my throat, "I thought I asked you to call me, Marshall" I said as I chewed at my lip. 

She let out a small, half smile, "I'm sorry, Marshall" she said as my stomach knotted up at the sound of her saying my name. "You're back in Texas, who do I owe that to?" she asked as she leaned against the railing. 

I pressed my tongue to my cheek, hearing the feistiness in her voice. This girl made me feel all sorts of feelings, feelings I had suppressed and thought I would never feel again. I took a deep breath, before shoving my hands in my pockets. 

"Avery" I said as her and I locked eyes. "I- I came back to ask if I could take you to dinner, but I didn't realize you were with someone. I shouldn't have assu-" I said as her face scrunched in confusion.

"Wait, wait what are you talking about? I'm not in a relationship with anyone" 

"But, you were on the field" I said as she grabbed my arm in realization. "Oh, fuck. You saw me on the field with Issac"

"God, n- no, no" she said continuously before letting out a deep sigh. "Its a publicity stunt, he's a new player, and for some reason my family thought it would bring more attention to him, myself and the team if we were seen together" she said as she air quoted, together. 

I raised an eyebrow, realizing Paul was right. She let out a smile that melted me, "I would love to go to dinner with you, Marshall"