The City

Missy arrived right on time as Kate and Tom were waiting outside. He had hold of her hand and was slowly stroking her palm. It was a cool morning and Kate was wearing skinny jeans with boots and a hot pink blouse. They were heading in the same direction so Tom walked with them to the cafe where he was meeting Luke. Luke took Kate's hand as Tom introduced them. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you after hearing so much about you, Kate. I'm sorry I have to steal him away today."
"I think I'm in good hands. We'll leave you to it and I look forward to talking to you tomorrow, Luke." Tom moved close and kissed her softly on the mouth, surprising her.
"Call me if you get back before I do," he said, and whispered "I love you" in to her ear.
Kate smiled coyly as she let go of Tom's hand and followed Missy down the street.
"So where are we going?" Kate asked.
"Well I'm happy to do whatever you want but I was thinking some shopping, lunch and then nail salon perhaps?"
"Perfect," said Kate. "Lead the way!"
As they walked and talked the conversation quickly turned to Kate and Tom. "I'm so happy for you both Kate. You are so lovely together, and the way he looks at you is beautiful. He's fallen pretty hard."
"That makes two of us. I can't even fathom the fact that I'm in love with him, and he loves me. It's so familiar and yet so foreign to me. The way he treats me is like something from a romance novel, he honestly makes me feel like a princess." She gushed. Missy smiled.
"Since I first met him I knew he'd be like that when he found the right woman. Zachary is a bit the same, just lacking the accent," she winked. "So you're going to see Matilda tonight?" Kate nodded. "You'll love it. What are you going to wear?"
"I have no idea. I have a backup but I was hoping I might find something here."
"Agenda item number one then, find Kate a dress."
They stopped on the way for coffee and walked and talked their way down 5th avenue.
"I'm not good at this," Kate said from behind the curtain. "Maybe I should just wear the mauve one." She poked her head out and Missy threw back the curtain.
"Wow,"
"Good wow, or how can you not look good in Chanel wow?"
"Good wow. Very very good wow."
Missy had sent her to the fitting room with 3 dresses to try on. The first was electric blue textured fabric with a v-neck, short ruched sleeves, fitted to with a wide waistband and full skirt which fell just to her knees. It not only looked like it was made for her, it felt like it was made for her. "Don't even bother with the other two, that is perfect."
"That was way too easy," Kate smiled.
They walked across the street to the nail salon. Kate had not had a manicure in a while. She mostly didn't bother, she had to keep her nails fairly short anyway and usually just painted them herself. She chose a neutral colour and sat down for a pedicure first. It was heavenly. She turned to Missy sitting next to her, "I could get used to this."
"Couldn't we all?" Missy sighed. "Are you nervous about tomorrow?"
"The premiere? A little. I guess I don't really know what to expect. I mean I've been to them before but not on the arm of someone like Tom. And he wants to sort of announce it, or at least not hide it or lie if we're asked. I don't know if everything will be different then, and if it will be better, worse, just different. I'm not good with the unknown." Kate looked at Missy and she was grinning.
"I never would have guessed. Here's the thing - Tom could talk under wet cement, and he won't let you out of his sight. He knows it's uncomfortable and he'll be by your side the whole time. Let him do his thing and answer the questions. All you have to do is look gorgeous and hold his hand,"
"Because just looking gorgeous has always been my primary skillset,"
"Is that what you're worried about? Being judged by how you look? Because the people who will do that will do it anyway, and their opinion doesn't matter."
"Yeah Missy I know you're right. I'm sure it will be fun,"
"It will honey. Zach and I will be there too, and these things aren't about work, they're playtime. Just be yourself and have fun. If you get overwhelmed just give me a wave and I'll come and rescue you." She said with a smile.
When their nails were done they found a sushi bar for lunch and strolled back to the Plaza. "I knew he'd be spoiling you, but wow," Missy said. Kate checked her phone, it was early and she didn't have any messages from Tom so she invited Missy up to their suite. Missy gasped and went to the window that looked out over central park before taking in the rest of her surroundings. "You know he doesn't do this to impress every woman he meets, don't you? He's been single for a long time, Kate, and it's not through lack of offers. He was waiting for the right girl. Let him spoil you, let him love you, and don't let the media get to you. He's actually pretty popular with the photographers and they don't give him much trouble because he gives them what they want. Probably because you can't take a bad photo of him and he doesn't do anything he wouldn't want photographed!"
Kate sent Tom a text letting him know they were back at the hotel and made tea for her and Missy.
"Thank you for taking me out today, and for all your advice. You've been a huge help."
"My pleasure, I can't wait to see you in that dress, you have the perfect figure for it."

When Tom arrived Kate was sitting in the lounge chair with her earphones in and her eyes closed. He knew she wasn't asleep, she had told him before it was her way of relaxing and recharging. He walked behind the chair and lowered his hands to her shoulders. "Hi handsome," she said before he'd touched her.
She took out the earphones. "Aw, I hadn't even touched you yet. How'd you know?"
"I can feel you Thomas... also I heard the door open and I could smell your cologne."
"Damn," he said, leaning down to kiss her lips. "How was your day?"
"Excellent. I might even look fit to be on your arm tomorrow,"
"Kate-"
"Oh relax I'm joking. How was your day?"
"Productive, I think. It's so often hard to tell until you get a call or you don't, but I think it was promising and Luke agrees."
"I need to have a shower and get ready for this evening, would you like to join me?"
"Best offer I've had all day."