Commitment

They arrived back at Tom's house, the sun was starting it's descent but the pool was beautifully warm. After the events of the afternoon, and with Tom's imminent departure in the back of their minds, Kate and Tom couldn't keep their hands off each other. It wasn't so much sexual touching as wanting to be as close as possible. Not wanting to waste a single moment between now and Sunday morning. Tom ordered dinner without getting out of the pool and eventually they went inside to eat. He had a printed list of dates in front of him, and his tablet. Kate had her tablet switched on, her calendar wasn't that complicated.
Tom put down his chopsticks. "Luke and I have worked out a schedule that I think will work," he said, taking a drink.
"You told Luke today?"
"I did," he grinned. "He's pretty keen to meet you. Actually he was going to Google you," Tom laughed.
"OK, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. How many hours have you allocated me per year?" She smirked.
"Well, I'm back in October for 2 weeks and if it suits you I might be able to stretch almost to 3 so we can have a few days alone. Then I have rehearsals for Coriolanus and it opens in December so I can't come back until it finishes in February."
"October I don't have any big projects, just support stuff. We get busy in November but then quiet again in December and I'm booked to go home for Christmas on the 19th. So that will work I guess. Except for not seeing you for all that time," Kate frowned, thinking and took a mouthful of drink. "Can I come and see you?"
"You would do that? You can come visit me any time you like, my love. I would love for you to come and see Coriolanus if you can."
"Of course I will, I just didn't want to distract you."
"The problem with that theory is you distract me even if we're on opposite side of the world," he took her hand in his. "Seriously, when ever you like. I will always, always make time for you."
"What if I leave a few days earlier and come to London on the way to Australia before Christmas?"
Tom laughed loudly. "There's something very wrong with that statement, Kate. But yeah, that would make an amazing Christmas present."
"I'll be sure to wear a nice big bow then," Kate smirked.
Tom cleared his throat. "So next year, I-"
"Whoa hold on. Next year? It's only August!" Tom looked hurt. "Baby, I don't mean we won't last that long. But please can we revisit next year in a few months? Who knows what will happen between now and then. I might take a liking to London."
"Knowing my luck you'd take a liking to London and I'll be stuck filming in Africa!"
"We'll make it work, Tom." She took the last mouthful from her plate. "You have to tell me where this Chinese place is, it's amazing."
"I meant what I said, Kate. I love you. I'm in love with you."
"So did I, I love you too."
"Something is worrying you though. Don't say nothing, talk to me."
"It's just... the last time I did this, sort of, it didn't go well. I ended up moving to the other side of the world and I was a bit of a mess."
"I know. Please don't be mad, but Zachary told me. I couldn't, I won't, hurt you. If you don't feel you can trust me-"
"I do. Trust you, I mean. Protecting myself is just habit. And Zach shouldn't have told you that," she looked down at her lap, not wanting Tom to see her emotions.
"I asked his advice, I know how close you are and I knew he'd do right by you. I didn't want to start anything that would end up hurting you... I understand your hesitation. Whatever you're feeling is ok, darling. Kate, look at me. I only want you to talk to me so I can help, if I can."
"OK, I'll try."
"That's all I ask," he stood, taking her hand and leading her inside. "We have about 34 hours remaining, and I want to make the most of every minute."