Disney magic

A few weeks later, Kate sat at the white baby grand piano in her long blue one-shouldered gown ready to play. She had talked them in to letting her use a live piano and it felt like a safety blanket. She listened while Peggy thanked everyone for coming and introduced the film and waited for her cue.

Tom sat in the front row listening to Peggy introducing The Pirate Fairy. He couldn't wait to see it come to life. He remembered back to the recording and how he had enjoyed it... Suddenly a spot light illuminated a white grand piano on the stage in front of the screen and his thoughts were interrupted. At the piano sat Kate Allen, her long ash brown curls flowing over her pale shoulders, down over her blue dress almost to her small waist. Her fingers glided effortlessly over the black and white keys as she began to sing. The sound was angelic and intoxicating, Tom closed his eyes for a moment and let it wash over him. When he opened his eyes he smirked as he noticed she had kicked off her silver shoes under the piano. He couldn't put his finger on it but there was something magical about her, sitting so straight and confident. She finished the song and the spotlight went out. He could barely see her but he watched her silhouette come down the side of the stage and take her seat at the front. From where he sat, almost directly in the middle, he could just see the profile of her face and the way her curls fell over her shoulders. He had to concentrate so as not to stare at her.

At the end of the film they were again treated to Kate's sweet vocals while the end credits rolled, and he joined in the enthusiastic applause at the end. Everyone milled out to the function area and he decided to look for Mae in the hope she might introduce him to Kate. On his way out the door however, he literally bumped in to Zachary who he greeted with a warm hug.

"Long time no see, buddy! How have you been?" Zach asked.

While they were discussing the film, a blue blur suddenly appeared out of nowhere, wrapping her arms around Zachary's neck and squealing with delight. "I didn't know you were coming!" Kate squealed in his ear.

"That's because I can keep a secret. How are you gorgeous?"

"I'm... so sorry I didn't realise you were in the middle of a conversation."

"Not at all. Tom, this is K-"

"Kate Allen," he breathed. "I am, I mean you are just, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, um, heard. Your voice, I mean." Christ Hiddleston pull yourself together!

Kate and Zach both looked at him with slightly bemused expressions. Tom wanted the ground to swallow him up. "Can we start over? I'm Tom and it's lovely to meet you. You two know one another?" he looked at Zach.

"It's a pleasure Tom, I'm Kate. And yeah, Zach and I worked together a bit on Tangled and have been friends ever since."

"I'm going to get drinks, anyone else?" Zach offered.

"Please," Tom blushed. "Kate?"

"Champagne," Kate and Zach said together and laughed.

"I've heard some of your work, you're very talented." Tom said. For the first time Kate noticed his bright blue eyes and genuine smile.

"Thank you, that's a huge compliment coming from someone as talented as you."

"Ah, not at all. I'm just an expert at playing pretend." he smiled.

Zachary returned with the drinks and the three of them chatted for a while before Peggy came over.

"You, were brilliant," she beamed at Kate. "I hate to say it, but I told you so."

"Yeah well give me a piano to hide behind and I can do anything." Kate felt her cheeks burning.

"Tom, I need to steal you away, there's someone I'd like you to meet." and they were gone.

"I don't know what kind of magic you have but Tom Hiddleston is not rendered speechless. Ever. He has a sonnet for every occasion." Zach laughed.

"He must be having an off day then, I highly doubt it was anything I did."

"Hey. You are gorgeous, intelligent and talented. Don't sell yourself short."

"Well I am only 5'1," Kate chuckled. "And what would Thomas Hiddleston want with me?!"

Zachary opened his mouth to argue but was interrupted by Raven and Mae whisking Kate away.

"So? Did you meet him yet?"

"Who?" Kate winked.

"Katherine Allen you are a terrible liar. He's really in to you isn't he?" Questioned Mae, her eyes wide.

"I doubt it. I think he just likes my singing."

Everyone was rounded up for photos and Kate was a little surprised to be included. After a few photos of everyone and then different departments it was the turn of the main actors. Kate watched Tom for a few moments, trying not to be too obvious. He was in dress pants, a light blue dress shirt with the sleeves folded up to his elbows and a black waistcoat. His hair was a lovely shade somewhere not quite red and not quite brown and he had the most beautiful smile. She was admiring the way his eyes lit up when he laughed when he caught her gaze, and winked. She smiled coyly and looked down at the floor, feeling her cheeks burning.

Kate left the foyer to get a last drink at the bar. It was getting late and she was deciding whether to walk home or get a cab.

"Kate?" She looked up to see Tom. Damn he was tall. "Would it be OK if I called you sometime?"

"From London?" Her reply came across much harsher than she intended. "Sorry that's not-"

Tom laughed his contagious laugh. "We have phones there too, now. And I have a home here in LA. But I completely understand if you'd rather not."

"It's not that, Tom. Really. I just-"

Zachary came rushing over and wrapped her in a tight squeeze. "I have to go. Have lunch with me. I mean us, Missy and I. Tomorrow. Before we go back to New York."

"Definitely. Call me in the morning."

He hugged Tom, saying something inaudible which put a devilish grin on his face. "Catch up with you soon, brother."

"Tell you what, Zach has my number. If you think one day you'd like to have coffee, dinner, whatever, just give me a call. No pressure."

Kate was impressed. "You really are the English gentleman."

Tom grinned again "I try, miss Kate." He kissed her hand lightly and walked away. Kate suddenly remembered her conversation with Mae and looked down at his bottom as he went. She couldn't help but let a tiny "ooh" escape before realising he was looking back at her and she just caught his wink before her cheeks were ablaze and she was again looking at the ground.