Going home

It was a warmer start the following morning. In early April the LA days were beautifully warm, with a slight chill in the mornings and evenings. Kate always tried to plan trips back home in Spring or Autumn, when the weather was milder. It was easier to forget that she was on the other side of the world. It had been 5 years now since she made the decision to move rather than travel back and forth, but home would always be Australia.

Kate showered and dressed quickly, choosing Jeans and a Nerd Machine t-shirt from the small selection of clothes that weren't packed. She wanted to be comfortable for the long flight home and knew there wouldn't be time to change. Applying some light makeup and braiding her long ash brown hair, she headed for the kitchen.

While eating a toasted muffin Kate ran through the last things on her list. She'd been fortunate a friend was happy to house-sit so she wouldn't have to worry about her apartment being empty. When everything was checked off she locked the door and hurried downstairs to get a cab to work, leaving her maroon Rav 4 in the garage.

*************************************************************************

Tom awoke and immediately cursed the blinding sun again. He was reminded of last time he was in LA and would go for a run at 5am and enjoy the cool air before the day really began. Must start that again tomorrow.

While in the shower he sang the song he'd been given over and over. Partly because he needed the practice and partly because everyone sounds better in the shower.

After breakfast he drove back to the studios for his first day or rehearsing and recording, arriving early and with plenty of time for a cup of tea and a wander. He found himself strolling past the rehearsal rooms they had passed the day before, taking some time to look over the guitars and pianos in the various rooms. Pushing away the slight disappointment when they were empty, he headed back to his studio to warm up.

**************************************************************

Kate always felt drained after days like this. Meeting after meeting after meeting, talking and more talking and then a thousand emails back and forth to make sure everything was settled and she had everything she needed. There was no singing or playing today and she felt agitated when she realised that there wouldn't be time before she had to leave for the airport. Packing her laptop and notes in her large leather satchel she noticed the title on the 2 new charts she had been given to prepare for the new Tinkerbell film - 'Who I Am' and 'Weightless'. The song demos and script were on her laptop ready to read on the plane, and remembering she had an ipod full of music instantly lifted her mood. She grabbed her suitcase and satchel and headed for the car park.

Walking past the cafe she could hear a small group chatting animatedly and noticed her friend Mae walking toward her. "Didn't think you'd escape without saying goodbye did you?" she chided, pulling Kate in to a hug. "Have an amazing time and bring me back a nice Aussie boy would you?"

"Consider it done," Kate smiled. Her attention was suddenly grabbed by laughter coming from the group at the cafe. There was a distinct sounding chuckle that made Kate's ears prick up. She thought she'd heard that voice before but couldn't quite grasp where. Mae released her and realising she was late Kate quickened her steps as she headed for the cab, and the airport.