56 - Shall we?

My heart stops

My heart stops. Only it doesn't. It speeds up instead. 

It feels like it's beating its way out of me, through my neck and mouth, even through my ears. It wants to leave but it doesn't. It stays inside tucked underneath my ribs, going overdrive with the mention of her name.

She steps through and even though I don't want to look, I can't look away either.

Unlike the last time I saw her at school, today she's put together. Dressed in black slacks and a white blouse, the only remnants of her edgy style are the combat boots and the cat-shaped eyeliner on her lids.

Our eyes lock and we both freeze. Time stops, everything else fades and it feels like my body shut down. She's stunning. As always. It takes my breath away, just like the first time I set my eyes on her. 

It's ridiculous how much has changed in just six months. And even though she broke my heart into a million pieces, she still is the owner of those pieces.

My hands itch to try and reach for her. I have never missed someone in this much in my life, it was only after losing her that I realized how much she grounded me. How much she kept me sane.

And fuck I miss it. I miss her.

I am still a fucking sucker for her. Whatever fate I get, I'll always be hers. 

The officer that was guarding the door, motions for her to sit down and she does. Right in front of me, with her back facing me.

Rubbing my face, I curse mentally.

Fuck. This is so freaking hard.

"Please, stand," the Prosecutor orders and she does, silently. " Do you promise that the testimony you shall give before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

"I do," Luna replies.

"Tell us your first and last name, please."

"Luna Abblesboom." 

"You may be seated," the Prosecutor orders and she does it, once again.

"The defence may proceed," the judge orders next and my lawyer stands up again, this time talking to her. 

"Hello, Luna. Could you tell everyone present in this court what's your relation to the defendant?" 

"Yes," she answers. "I'm his girlfriend." 

A couple of gasps sound but they're muffled by the murmurs that grow behind us.

"Order!" With a hit of his gavel, everyone shuts up.

"For how long?" 

"Officially? Uhm, almost three months. But we've known each other for six, since the beginning of school." 

"And throughout all of these months. Can you describe what you got to know about Dylan?" 

"Of course," she nods before stealing a glance back at me. "I am not the best with words, but I'll try my best." A small pause and then, "The best way to describe Dylan is love and family."