41 - Getting Closer

The moment the key fits into the lock, the door opens before I can

Two weeks later and I am still not used to living here.

The house is as big as Dylan's uncle's home and it still makes me uncomfortable. It's new and different and it doesn't feel like home. Even if the one I had before, wasn't one either.

"You two made up already?" My dad asks as soon as his head pops up from behind the door.

"Not quite," I snicker, taking my boots off at the entrance.

"Goddam, you're as stubborn as a mule. Put the guy out of his misery, he's been desolate ever since."

"Weren't you supposed to not want me to have a boyfriend until I'm thirty or something? Isn't that what dads do?"

"Well, would you stop dating him if I forbade you?" He tilts his head with an amused face.

"You can't forbid me from doing anything," I grumble.

"My point exactly." He grins. "How was your day?"

I huff. This is fucking weird.

Aiden has been... supportive, understanding, caring and most of all he has given me my space to adjust. Even if it's taking longer than he'd like to.

When we left the hospital, we went to the apartment to pick up the things that mattered the most to me, he said the rest would go to a warehouse for me and my mum to decide what to keep once we'd decided what to do.

I brought my clothes, my sculpting things and other essentials. I didn't have much and I think Aiden noticed it. His face was twisted in a constant frown for the entirety of the time we were in the apartment.

The moment I stepped foot here, I was overwhelmed. Much like Jake's house, this place is huge. Spacious, sleek and modern.

Everything I never had.

He might have guessed my thoughts because he made a point of letting me know that he'd only had this house for half a year. It made me wonder what happened most of the time we were apart but I wasn't ready for that talk yet.

Ever since he insists on driving me to school and picking me up every day. There's breakfast on the table for us to eat together every morning and on the drive back to the house he always asks how was my day.

Dinner is no different than breakfast, and we eat it together every single day. Sometimes the silence is long and awkward but it slowly has been filled with conversations. Slowly we've found topics we have in common, helping out with the tension.

I am not accustomed to this. I haven't had to worry about food and how I'm going to afford it, the blurry cloud over my brain regarding bills and how to pay them has vanished. The fear of getting home to find a high mother fucking my ex or finding her overdosed and dead is long gone.