Chapter one hundred and twenty one

28:00

After the appointment Anakin and I had gone right home to bed. Both of us wanted a bit of extra rest since the day before Anakin had to get up very early in the morning. Anakin had made dinner for all of us and set Ari to bed with Cal taking the spare room that was once mine. This meant we had a completely packed apartment: Satine and Korkie in Ari and Ahsoka's old rooms, Cal in the spare room and of course Ari in the room between ours and Padmè's on the other side of the wall.

It was a peaceful night, completely calm. Anakin had his arms wrapped around my torso and held me to his chest the entire night. Part of the night I just stayed up feeling his chest slowly rise and fall with every breath, warm breath that trickled over my shoulder. Watching him sleep for a few short minutes I got to see he wore a beautiful sweet smile the entire night. For once Anakin was at peace.

Or so it seemed. I wasn't sure what happened after I fell asleep, I didn't even dream that night. No there wasn't a single flake of snow in my mind as I lay in his arms and slept peacefully. That was until in a light slumber I realised Anakin's arms were no longer around my body, that his warmth wasn't lying there beside me. Opening my eyes I shifted on the mattress and looked to where he had been, where he should be, only to find an empty space.

Slowly I sat up and looked around the whole room to try and find Anakin. But he wasn't there, no where within the little room. So I got up and picked up one of his old robes from the end of the bed, the one I used as a dressing gown. Eyes still foggy I made my way using muscle memory alone towards the door, quietly opening opening it up and heading out into the living space. The curtains were slightly drawn back allowing the city lights to gently wash over the room.

Sure enough to no surprise of mine Anakin stood there before the balcony glass door, just staring out into the space beyond. The minimal speeders we're passing by outside and Anakin just seemed to be casually watching them. He seemed to be wanting space, but I didn't know from what and that worried me. So after taking a breath and walked over to be at his side, taking his hand in mine as I looked up to his face.

Anakin turned and looked down toward me without saying a word. A small smile tugged up the corner of his lips and in the silence he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me gently towards his side. I let my shoulders relax and leaned against him, my head resting on his bare chest. The both of us then just stood there staring out towards the speeders. His hand gently rubbed my shoulder in soft circular motions, holding me close but with no firmness. He then placed a soft kiss on the top on my head while maintaining that silence.

"...you okay..?" I asked after a couple moments longer, gently rubbing his hand over my chest. Looking up I watched his face fall and his eyes divert to anywhere but me.

"...I had another nightmare..." He replied after another spell of silence. Immediately my heart sank and I subconsciously moved to cling a little closer to his side. Before these nights ares had nearly driven Anakin into the darkness, I'd hoped this time it would be different, that he'd be spared that torment.

"Oh..." I replied simply not k owing what else to say. Internally I was spiralling into panic, furled but a dread of what nearly occurred a year back. I could t loose Anakin, I wouldn't, not when we were this close to our happily ever after.

As my thoughts began to drown me I looked down trying to shield away the pain felt in my heart. Though I'm sure Anakin could still sense my dread and fear. I just hoped this time he wouldn't shut me out. Beside me Anakin turned and placed one hand to my arm with the other gently grasping my chin, tilting my head up so that I'd meet his eyes. His piercing blue Iris shone as he looked directly into my eyes, a strength there that I could find refuge in.