Fifty

Overcome by the pain, you barely realized how the hand broke through the surface and wrapped itself around your neck.

With a jerk, the hooded man pulled you out of the water.

He was so rough and careless that your head hit the stature of Vander.

Briefly your sight went black.

Your hands reached out for his head, hoping you could free yourself.

Suddenly, another figure rose.

With a grim look, Sevika glared at him. Hatred burned in her eyes. As she raised her mechanical arm, it was clear that she was ready to strike him down until the last bit of life was gone from his eyes.

She lashed out, teeth clenched, and struck.

With a tremendous force he was torn from his feet.

You fell to the ground, a scream escaping your lips. Choking and gasping, you struggled for breath. The air burned in your lungs, each breath aching like hellfire.

The enforcer slammed into a wall of a house. He was pressed so hard against the stone that cracks formed.

A gasp escaped him.

Sevika glanced quickly at you.

With a nod of your head, you assured her that everything was all right and jumped back to your feet.

She jumped forward, her eyes fixed directly on him.

But when he raised his head there was no fear, no apprehension he might die.

No, instead he grinned.

For a moment, the sight threw you back in time, reminding you how terrible the day had been. But then your eyes widened, startled, and realized what was happening.

"No...", you gasped. "Sevika, don't!"

But it was already too late.

When her fist threatened to break his skull into a thousand pieces, he swiftly jumped aside. His hand reached into her pocket and at the same moment pulled out Jinx's grenade.

She was watching him steal it, when her strike hit the house with full force.

Dust swirled up and the wall shattered. Like an earthquake, the floor began to shake.

Holding your breath, you watched as the house collapsed, burying Sevika under it. When the dust cleared, you could see her lying buried among the rubble, her eyes still open.

Breathing heavily, she looked at you and tried to free herself.

Your legs twitched, you wanted to run to her and help.

But he stepped in front of her with a grin and blocked the way. Playfully he threw the bomb up in the air and caught it again.

"Finn told me you could be a problem.", he purred. "And he also told me that your thick skull was your biggest problem."

His gaze wandered over his shoulder to you.

When your eyes met, you froze. Suddenly your throat tightened and all the air was squeezed out of your lungs. Your body tensed and all at once everything you had buried all these years came back.

"Still so helpless, great Samaritan?", he jumped down the rubble, his thumb caught in the bomb's trigger. "At that time you were also so small and afraid. Only later came the courage to do this to me."

He removed his hood from his head with a flourish. A scarred face was revealed. Half of his nose was missing. In its place sat a replacement made of shimmering brass.