Sixteen

With a beating heart you took a deep breath in and forced your body to keep calm. It would have played into his cards to know that you were nervous. With a grim expression, you entered the last drop.

Immediately, a shady smell hit you in the face. Loud music ripped the silence apart and made every inch of your body grow goosebumps.

This once had been Vander's realm, the firmer guardian and peacekeeper of Zaun before Silco had taken matters into his own hands. Back then, the people who were seen around here were honest and did good business.

Now all you could see were hooded figures and drug dealers.

As you made your way to the stairs, your eyes jumped into the shadows out of reflex.

Strange people smiled at you, not entirely human nor machine. They seemed high or at least out of their own minds. The giggling and laughing made a shiver crawl down your spine.

You grabbed the reviling if the stairs, wanting to pull yourself up the steps. But somebody held you back.

With a harsh grip, one of Silco's peasants pulled you back by the collar of your coat. Your back hit the wall, chasing a sharp pain through your spine.

Gasping, you grabbed your bag before it could slide off your shoulder to prevent the inside from shattering.

"Asshole!", you hissed and wanted to push past him. "He's expecting me."

But the man wasn't as easy to convince as he looked like.

Again, he snatched you by the collar.

This time he used so much force that you almost choked on your own breath.

"You think I'll believe that?", he asked, his eyes narrowed. "Silco doesn't talk it just anybody."

With a sarcastic grin, you raised your gaze and met his eyes.

"I'm not just anybody.", you said in such a cold voice that he flinched. "Now let me through or I'll tell Silco you wasted his precious time."

Rubbing the back of his neck, his eyes jumped through the room. He was unsure, both afraid of the consequences if he let you go despite lying or the consequences when you were saying the truth.

"I- I can't do that...", he mumbled, but froze as his eyes spotted a shadow standing at the top edge of the stairs.

With his arms crossed behind his back and the usual emotionless expression in his eyes, Silco looked down on him.

"Samaritan.", his eyebrows rose as he addressed you directly. "It pleases me to see that you followed my invite."

Showing him your teeth, you got back on your feet and cleaned some dust off your sleeves.

"I'd say it's a pleasure, but that would be a lie.", you climbed the first steps but stopped  before him. "And an invite leaves the option to decline. Let me be bold and say you wouldn't have given me that curtesy."

He did not answer to that but the corners of his mouth twitched, forming a slight sign of amusement.

"Make yourself comfortable.", he said as the door fell shut, locking the two of you in his office. "I'd offer you something to drink but a certain spy destroyed my coffee table so there's no space to put your cup."

Amused, you had to huff.

"You sound more insulted about the coffee table than about the cause of its destruction."

His slender fingers reached for a cigar.

Only the sight was enough for you to shiver, but you swallowed it down as to not appear rude. His opinion about you must have already taken a huge hit. Insulting his habits would have done you no favour.

"I must say...", he held the flame of his lighter to his eyes. "I wouldn't have expected such a dirty move from you."

You placed your equipment on a table that he had obviously requested to be arranged specifically for you. For a moment, you did not say anything.

There was a deep, dark spot staining the wood right next to your new place of work. It was obvious who it belonged to, but it still made you think.

Was this sacrifice really necessary?

You sighed. In the end, it couldn't be undone anyways.

"The move wasn't dirty, Silco.", you said while arranging the glass jars and containers in perfect order.

"You used her against me. Not only my own spy but also as a weapon."

"One desperate last try to kill you before I actually had to do my part of the agreement."

"Bold to be so honest with me."

You shrugged.

"I can afford to be bold. You can't kill me until you have what you want."

"But I could kill others instead."

Again, you had to huff amused.

"Not wrong, eye of Zaun. Not wrong.", you turned to him. "But it would be stupid of you to believe that the ones you could hurt in my place are still in reach."

His eyebrows knitted together. He let out a deep breath, grey smoke filling the space between the two of you.

"One word and they'll be dead.", he said, so sure of himself. "Even your precious little kids, if necessary."

Grinning, you felt the urge to feel superior to him. He had no idea, you realised.

Perfect.

Confused by your sudden happiness, he frowned. His eyes wandered over your body, looking for an explanation, something that could have betrayed you.

"What?", he asked, his teeth bared. "Why are you smiling at me?"

You shook your head, feeling the most satisfying way you had ever felt in all your years of existing.

"I'm mocking you.", you purred, stepping so close that he backed away surprised.

His eye narrowed. Anger was written on his face.

"Why?", he asked, trying to grab your face like he did the first time you had met.

But you caught his move, wrapping your fingers tightly around his wirst. He wasn't supposed to think you were weak or stupid enough to make him perform the same attack on you twice.

"I'm mocking you, because you believe your plans are without a single little flaw. But guess what? I am the flaw that you cannot defeat on your way. They say you're one step ahead of others, Silco. At all times. But I'm one ahead of you. Don't think I will let you blackmail me as you please. I'll fulfil my deal. And then you will leave me the fuck alone."