Forty-Six

Yawning you stretched.

You couldn't remember the last time you slept so long and without interruptions.

Sighing, you rolled over the soft mattress and slowly began to open your eyes. Blinking, you looked around, your hands wandering over the bed, searching for Silco.

But no one was lying next to you.

You raised your head. Everything was so bright and warm that you had to squint your eyes to keep from fainting.

As you stretched, voices from outside reached your ears. One of them was Silco, another Jinx. Only the third voice was difficult to classify.

Curious, you jumped out of bed, but stopped in front of the mirror. You were naked and your clothes were nowhere to be seen. So you could not go out, unless you wanted the visitor to think you were a whore.

Not that this was a wrong assumption, in a way you were now Silco's little darling.

But not everyone had to know that right away.

Looking for something to cover your nakedness, your eyes fell on a neatly tied package wrapped in white.

It probably wasn't polite, but your curiosity urged you to take a closer look. Carefully, you untucked the folds and peaked inside.

It was a robe, perhaps a bathrobe, made of red fabric. The fabric felt soft, so soft that you grew goosebumps.

You had never owned anything like it. Such kinds of garments were something for rich people from Piltover.

But as you tilted your head and looked closer at the robe, your eyes fell on a mark embroidered in the red fabric. It was a cane with wings, entwined with two snakes. The sign of the doctors.

Taken by curiosity, you pulled the robe out of the package. In the process, a small card sailed to the ground. You picked it up again only to discover that it was a gift from Silco.

A gift to you.

Overwhelmed, you had to look at it several times, turning the card back and forth in the hope of finding something that proved the opposite. But no matter how hard you tried, the answer remained the same.

"A little something, darling. So that the morning is not too cold without me."

The words elicited a smile from you.

"You clever bastard.", you mumbled and wrapped yourself in the robe.

The cut fit your figure perfectly, loose in the right places and tight in those where it was especially nice to look. Shaking your head, you looked at yourself in the mirror before daring to push open the door and take a peek into the office.

As the sound of the door opening, the voices fell silent. Heads turned to you.

"Samaritan...", Sevika opened her mouth in surprise.

Quickly her eyes jumped to you and to Silco and then back again. But she was smart enough not to comment on the sight.

Warningly, Silco glared at her.

"Was the night pleasant?", he asked as if nothing had happened.

But he behaved differently, his expression remained cold and his eyes didn't have the same gleam they had shown yesterday.

You nodded understandingly and leaned against the door frame.

"As much as possible.", you shrugged and glanced over to Jinx. "Good morning, Jinxie Dinxie."

Sullenly, she pulled a face.

"Until I become a big, strong woman.", she growled, as if she had to remind herself how long this torture would last.

You had to smile.

"Exactly. Are you looking forward to today? I have a lot planned."

She immediately forgot how much she disliked the nickname. Her blue eyes widened and enthusiastically she began to gather her materials.

"Is it time yet?", she asked, throwing a wrench through the air.

Silco ducked his head, pulled his eyebrows together and gave you a questioning look.

"I promised Jinx that she could come to the market next time.", you explained. "Today is the day. There is stuff that's needed."

Immediately his mood changed. The indifferent coldness disappeared and anger appeared. But before he made the mistake of arguing with you in front of Sevika, he gave her a warning look.

She understood, shrugged and with a grin in your direction, retreated.

Silco's eyes followed her movements. Only when the door slammed shut did his blue eye close and he let out a deep sigh.

"You want to go shopping?", he asked, wiping a strand of hair from his face. "Even though everyone wants to get to you?"

Rolling your eyes, you shook your head and leaned in to press a kiss to his temple.

"I'll pay better attention this time.", you assured him with a gentle smile. "Besides, Jinx is with me. She can protect me in case of emergency. Right, Jinxie Dinxie?"

Demonstratively, she held a toy in the air.

"I'm going to blow everyone up!", she shouted and threw the toy onto his desk.

When it hit, you both tensed up. It had happened far too often that some of her experiments had caused serious damage. Sometimes colorful damage and sometimes far more dangerous.

"She's still a child.", Silco's arm wrapped around your waist.

You sighed.

"I'm not counting on her to get rid of Finn and his whole gang."

"He'll only make it worse. You should stay here. I'll send someone."

"I know you care. But the merchant is a privat man and your name would scare him away. I asked him for the materials weeks ago."

His eyebrows pulled further together and a shadow darkened his face.

"Is this merchandise really that important?", he asked, his grip on you tightening.

"I fear."

"What could be so important that you would risk your life? This is ridiculous."

"Even if you won't let it count as a reason, it's about you. With the material, maybe Jinx could build a device to make the injection go faster."

At the explanation, he listened. The expression softened, but the doubts didn't completely disappear.

"Fast means sloppy.", he said with narrowed eyes.

"That's right. When humans do it, at least. But if this injector works as I imagine, then it depends on how it is triggered and at what angle."

"And you think it will work?"

"I don't think the shimmer needs any further modification. At least not at the moment. The formula can be changed in the future. The injector could make things a lot easier for you."

For a moment he thought. His eyes moved, but his decision was already made.

"Take Sevika with you.", it was not a request but an order. "And take care of yourselves."