Six

With a quick glance at the ceiling, Silco raised his eyebrows as if giving someone a silent command and turned his back to you.

Confused, you frowned and looked up. Your eyes widened in surprise.

A small shadow moved between the roof beams. Shyly, it retreated further into the darkness, but a small blue braid flashed.

"Jinx?", you glanced quickly over at Silco. "How long have you been up there?!"

You feared he might use the child to gain leverage, but when his calm posture caught your eye, you had to frown again.

With his arms crossed behind his back and his eyebrows drawn together, he had his eyes firmly fixed on Jinx. It seemed as if he was waiting for her.

"Are you coming, little girl?", he asked, calmly but with a hint of impatience.

Jinx stuck her head out of the shadows to give him an innocent look.

"Can I stay a little longer?", she asked with a grin.

Silco shook his head.

"Come here."

She pulled a face.

Confused, you glanced back and forth between him and her.

"Jinx.", you caught her as she let herself fall. "Is this... your... father?"

Her big round eyes lit up as she broke free from your embrace to grab your hand and pull you excitedly in his direction.

"He is now! Come on, you should work for him."

You freed yourself from her grip and kept your distance. Skeptically you eyed him.

"I wouldn't have taken you for a man for children.", you said, crossing your arms in front of your chest.

With one hand on Jinx's blue hair, Silco determinedly pushed her toward the door, but half turned to you again before disappearing.

"Neither did I.", he muttered, suddenly a hint of uncertainty in his words and pulled the door shut behind him.

It took you a while to tear your gaze away from the door. You thought you could still feel his presence in the room, the look in his eyes, hard but interested. His smell in your nose.

The thought alone sent a cold shiver down your spine. A sigh left your lips.

Exhausted, you let yourself fall into the armchair, your hands pressed to your forehead.

"Shit!", you hissed through clenched teeth.

The situation was bad.

On the one hand, you had been right with what you had said. If he killed you, there would be no place left in this whole polluted hole for the problems to gather. The addicts would fill the streets and spread chaos.

You were the dam that protected Zaun from being flooded by junkies. Silco couldn't just get rid of you without a backup plan.

But at the same time, maybe you overestimated your importance. The patients in the hospital were addicts whose only loyalty was to the drug. If you died, they probably wouldn't fight a war for you, but would return to the one who could provide.

The only ones who might actually be loyal to you were children.

And one didn't win a war with children. At least not if one still had a little decency.

Sighing heavily, you squinted your eyes and hit the table.

At the impact, the loose drawer swung open.

You wanted to close it again, but faltered when your eyes fell on a conspicuous shadow. With a frown, you let your finger slip into the drawer and pushed aside some papers and books.

A gap, barely larger than your little finger, appeared between the casing and the floor.

At first you were confused, thinking the old wood had broken. But it was not so.

Your eyes widened. A gasp escaped you.

That bastard had found the false bottom.

Heart beating fast, you opened the flap to reveal a second compartment underneath. A box slumbered inside, locked tightly with a combination lock and a mechanism that required a special key so as not to destroy the contents if someone tried to get through them.

Normally, this box was your best kept secrets in this hospital. No one knew about it, not the volunteers, not the sick or the children. Even your friends didn't know about it.

Cursing inwardly, you jumped up to lock the door before pulling the box out of the drawer and placing it on your desk.

At first glance, nothing seemed to have changed, no scratches or traces of violence. But a feeling told you that he had known what was inside.

And in this case he would certainly have had great interest in it.

"Fuck!", your hands were shaking with pressure as you put the code in. "I'll be fucked if he..."

You pulled out the key that was always hanging around your neck and turned it.

A soft click filled the tense silence as the lock snapped open and revealed the stuffed inside of the box.

Relieved, you sighed and fell back in your chair. It felt like the world had crushed down on you.

Everything was still there, from the special syringes you had made for a quicker treatment to the samples and the small vials of shimmer you had changed from the original.

With trembling breath you smiled.

But at the same time you knew that this time it had been very close. For some reason, Silco had figured out that you were trying to undo his work. The fact that he knew about the false bottom in the drawer was enough to make you think that he wanted to take advantage of your experiment.

The only question was what for. This kind of shimmer would have no value, it didn't get people addicted, nor made the body react through mutations. It merely gave the junkies the same release as the real stuff.

Originally, you had hoped to use it to help those who would never get off their addiction without risking death. But the side effects were still the same, rapid cellular healing, aggression and short-lived powers beyond those of a mere human. As long as these negative effects still existed, you could not risk it.

Even with the original shimmer, you used it only on those who were already at the gates of death, to take away their pain for the last few minutes.

But that still did not explain how Silco had found out about it. Or why he would want something like this.