Twenty-Two

A little nervously you slipped through the window of your room and hurriedly searched the drawers.

Somewhere there had to be your notes that you had left behind before you went to Silco. Finding the most important documents, you quickly put them away and then proceeded to take the box out of the floor.

It would be better to have it close to you, where you could hide them and quickly reposition them in case of an incident.

Besides, these five samples were the best results so far. Without them, you wouldn't get anywhere, whether you wanted to or not.

That would mean they were closer within Silco's reach, but you had to take that risk.

You let the box slide into your pocket and turned to climb back out the window. But the desire to see the patients held you back.

At the moment you were Silco's little slave for the elimination of his problem.

But that didn't change the fact that you were a doctor. Not a studied doctor who would have had a chance in a real hospital, but still a person trying to help.

Your legs hesitated, turned toward the door. But if someone had followed you, you would reveal the hiding place. And that would endanger the children.

Biting your lips, you narrowed your eyes and slipped out the window.

There were risks you didn't have to take. Especially not when it came to the children.

You had already lost one child, any more would tear you apart.

With your head pulled in and a hood covering your face, you crept through the crowd of dark figures that filled the alley.

Strange clouds danced through the air, each breath rasping in your lungs. You had grown up in the lanes, a child of Zaun through and through, but even you had to admit that the quality of water and air had dropped drastically in recent years.

Silco's reign was not to blame for this, even in Vander's time the situation had been bad. Especially Piltover's boom due to the new Hex Tec development had contributed to more waste accumulating in the lower parts of the city.

The rich rolled in more wealth while there was nothing left for the poor but the leftovers that even the rats of the uppercity didn't want.

At the thought, you had to twist your mouth bitterly.

While your eyes wandered over the stall of a merchant, you reached into your pocket and pulled out a handful of coins.

"I'm looking for something special.", you said, placing two coins in his hand before continuing. "I need this. As much as possible. The price doesn't matter."

With a quick glance, the older man shook his head.

"That's impossible to get.", as he spoke his eyes darted around uneasily, as if he was afraid someone might jump out of the shadows and stab him any moment. "The chem-baroness dominates all supplies."

You shook your head.

"I don't need the processed stuff, I need the natural occurrences."

"It's useless."

"For them, maybe, but I could make something out of it. Can you get it?"

Briefly, he pondered.

"Unlikely, but with a lot of luck, maybe. It will be very expensive.", he warned. "For every person who dies trying to get it, the price doubles."

"As I said, the price doesn't matter."

"You have to really want it. Why?"

Displeased, you pulled a face and gave him a warning look.

"I was assured you don't ask questions.", your eyes narrowed. "I used to do good business with your boss. Where is he? I would prefer to talk to him."

Shrugging his shoulders, he leaned back.

"Dex is dead.", he explained dryly. "Conspired against Silco. The guy was as dumb as he was weird-looking."

Sighing, you rolled your eyes.

"Of course...", you growled. "It couldn't have come at a worse time."

Your hand slipped back into your pocket and pulled out a large bag of coins. With a discreet gesture you dropped it on the table, some coins falling out, right in front of his nose.

Curious, he looked at the bulging pouch. Greed gleamed in his eyes.

"What do you want me to do with this?", he asked, but it was obvious that he was eager to stretch out his fingers and pocket everything. "I can't sell you anything."

Again you had to roll your eyes. The guy was starting to get on your nerves.

"Information.", you said, leaning forward. "Tell me where I can find the raw stuff and the bag is yours."

His eyebrows rose in surprise.

But he hesitated.

"You'll break your neck.", the tip of his fingers scraped over the coins. "Besides, Renni's guard dogs will tear you apart if they find you. They have orders not to let anyone near."

"And how much do they make one pay for passage?"

"Too much."

"I'll decide that myself. So?"

"Hm, I'd advice you-..."

"I don't want advice! I want to know the price and location.", flashing your teeth, you made it obvious that your patience was running low. "Or should I take my money elsewhere?"

That threat made him snap out of it. With his eyes widened, he shook his head and tried to grab the coins.

With a swift moment you pulled out a knife from your other pocket and rammed it into the desk, mere inches away from his hand.

"No service, no payment!", you hissed, a decline grin on your face. "I'm starting to think you're not worth the fuss."

"No! No, I'll tell you. But don't blame me for anything that happens after."

Chuckling, you pulled the knife out of the wood and tilted the blade while letting your eyes wander over the sharp edges.

"Dead people don't blame others. Sing, little birdie. Or don't you like shiny things?"

Offended by the way you were talking to him, he frowned but did not object. He knew that one wrong word would cost him a bag full of money.

Quite literally.

"Fine.", his fingers slipped over the coins. "Go to the deepest spot of the lanes. You know how to get into the abyss, don't ya?"

"I'd say so."

"Good. If you meet firelights, follow them. They hunt other bugs. If you find some that have a strange smell, just follow them. They'll lead you right to the raw stuff. That's all I can tell you."

"And Renni?"

"Her mines are hard to miss. You'll find them eventually. Or avoid them best you can."