Stormy weather

[Niela]

It was quiet at Malfoy Manor.

Separated from the busy streets by wood and nature, the manor seemed to exist in its own world.
A neat, well-kept garden spread before the entrance, with a small fountain at its center. Flowers bloomed in blue, red and green, contrasting the manor's cold outside.
Two towers framed the main body of white marble. Slithers of black etched through it, looking like veins from afar. Though the windows were taller than I was, I couldn't see what was going on inside; they just reflected the garden, creating a pool of colours on their silver surface.

"Are you coming?", Draco asked, already at the entrance. I hurried past the garden to join him.

"Ready?"
"If you are", I replied.
He took a deep breath, placed on finger on the handle and said: "Aprīs solum dignus, nuntius item exsecratio et benedictio, quad ille bonus et puras animus fieri vincere.
Sanctimonia vincet semper."

The doors swung open with a loud screech. Draco pursed his lips, looking a whole lot like his mother.

"Someone forgot to oil the fucking doors."
I burst out laughing. "Isn't the dungeon's door just as bad?"
"Yes, but that's not my door. What do I care if some door in Hogwarts wasn't oiled?"
I only shook my head and grabbed his hand.

We walked through a long hallway, decorated with chatting portraits. They all shared Draco's platinum blonde hair, though none of them had his eyes.
"What disgrace did you bring this time- ",
"Shut it.", Draco said to the portrait of an old lady and practically dragged me into the living room.

"Your ancestors?", I asked.
Draco nodded. "A charming bunch, aren't they?"
"Lovely.", I agreed, looking dead serious, which made him laugh.
"Are you hungry? I could make us something to eat."
I nodded. "I'll look for the list in the meantime. It's in the study, right?"
"How do you- "
"I've been here before, remember?" I'd knocked his father out in this room, last Christmas.
"Alright", Draco said, brushing a curl behind my ear. My face burned up, which he noticed, judging by his smirk. "Don't get lost, Niela."
"I won't."

+

I got lost.

In my defense, anyone would've. The manor was built to get lost in.
The study was too big for its own good - something I hadn't noticed last time I was here. The shelves were filled with books, some of which had feelings of their own. One longed to destroy while another was peaceful; others were made of anger, guilt, or sadness. They were simpler than human emotions, one-dimensional in a way.

The desk must've been left behind in a hurry; silver ink and quill laid open. It honestly hurt my heart to see paint dry, so I closed the lid. Next to it, the Malfoy family crest was printed in red wax. A forgotten seal for one of many unwritten letters, scattered across the table. I went through the letters and scroll, until I found an envelope labeled 'Tarquair Auction'.
This was why we'd come here in the first place: to get the list, retrieve the crystal and repair the Merfolk's heart. I looked for more clues on the desk, but could only find a letter beginning with 'Dear Narcissa', so I quickly put it back in place. Lucius Malfoy already hated me enough as is, I wasn't keen on pushing it.

I didn't intend to get lost.

I left the room and returned how I came - down the stairs, one turn right - but instead of the living room, I found myself in a room full of magical artefacts.

The pain started small, tugging at the back of my head. It moved like needles on my skin, until it exploded. I shut my eyes. Every bit of light seemed too bright now.
My knees gave in, and I sank to the floor.