XIV: Many meetings - Friends of old

Start from the beginning

"It wasn't a mistake, Aragorn," Legolas eventually said, "but it was a hasty deed!"

"A hasty deed that you would normally not do, my friend," Aragorn told him "but you don't frequently encounter maidens who would break your nose with a head knock!"

Now the elven prince narrowed his gaze towards his friend "That was a mistake," he acknowledged "My guard was down and I was never attacked by any other maiden ever!"

"You fought brave, my friend," Aragorn laughed "But was beaten fairly!"

His mischievous part became somewhat childish "I grant you that. But it keeps me feeling more alive than I could otherwise ever be." Legolas admitted, "I do not know but the darkness is rising Aragorn and those foolish incidents brought some chaotic moments of light and some comfort to our souls."

Aragorn agreed with Legolas the times had become darker, while returning to Rivendell with the hobbits, the ranger confirmed that as he had met troops of the enemy. And even the fact that the one ring had returned. But Aragorn did not talk about the ring of power. The two men chatted a little longer, Aragorn telling Legolas about his exploits and Legolas telling him about his. The prince even informed him about Gollum and how he managed to flee his father's halls. Aragorn stated to Legolas that it was not their fault and that they now had to confront the approaching darkness. The ranger did not go into greater detail since everything will be presented to Elrond's council tomorrow.

"He will overcome it, Estel," Elrohir said as he appeared with his twin brother from the west corridors. "Give it time, and the prince will find his glory again!"

Aragorn nodded smiling at his close friends, he sighed silently impatience at the mocking that would follow towards Legolas. When the twins and he were together, Legolas ended up becoming their target. A role that the prince never complained of taking.

"Elrohir is about time to respect the prince of Mirkwood," Elladan turned to his brother cheerfully "What would happen if some of the maidens heard you?"

Elrohir shrugged playfully "I would not know, but I have in mind one that would try to beat him up."

"Aw, you mean to beat him up again..." Elladan corrected him.

"Do not think I won't get you both of your insulting behaviour," Legolas defended himself.

"They are now so smitten with your words," the ranger added waiting for a small war to unleash between the four.

That implied that all four would wind up on the practise grounds, where they began a friendly sparring match. For a brief period, it seemed like old times amongst close friends, before the darker days arrived. They would not complain about the result of the fight since the sole purpose they were duelling was to unwind and relive old memories.

"Elrohir! Elladan!" Arwen's melodic voice resonated over the training grounds as she began her search for them. She was going to murder them. Every single one of them. It was early in the morning when she sent her twins brothers to locate Legolas and Aragorn, but they never returned. She overheard a few elf maidens gossiping about a contest between the Prince, Aragorn, and her brothers on the training grounds.

'Foolish,' she thought to herself. He rarely returned to Imladris after becoming Chieftain of the Dúnedain of the North. And he ended up dragging the twins and even Legolas to be part of the rangers of the North. She hadn't spoken to Aragorn in a long time, and she missed him. However, it seemed that he missed Legolas and her brothers much more. 'That's what happens when you fall in love with a human being. Arrogant human. They are foolish no matter how old they are...'