Chapter 25

Rachel's P.O.V
I wake up the next morning to my phone buzzing on my night stand. I yawn reaching over to pick it up. I look at the caller ID to see it was Hayes before I answer it.
"Hello," I mumble still half asleep.
"Don't you hello me," he snaps obviously more awake than I am.
"What's wrong?" I groan not in the mood to fight right now.
"What's wrong?" he laughs sarcasm dripping from his voice,"what's wrong is you blew me, your actual boyfriend off, off to get all cuddly with you friend."
"You don't understand. He's-," I begin but cut myself off remembering the promise I made to him.
"He's what! Hot, sexy, better than I am. Is that what you were going to say?" he asks bitterly.
"I'm sorry, I really want to tell you, but I can't," I mumble.
"Fine, whatever. Have fun with your little friend. Just drop my kids off before you go make out with him or whatever," he states.
"Um, excuse you they're our kids," I snap finally having enough of him,"and we aren't even dating."
"Of course not you're just fuck buddies," he says.
"We're just friends," I try to explain.
"Whatever just bring the kids over today at 3," he states hanging up before I could respond. I sigh now fully awake thanks to Hayes. I glance at the clock to see it's 7:13 A.M. I roll back over and attempt to fall asleep, but after tossing and turning for ten minutes, I decide my attempts are useless and go fix breakfast instead. Once I reach the kitchen, I grab a bowl and a box of cereal because I'm too lazy to fix anything special. After I finish my bowl of lucky charms, I take a quick shower and change into sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt before I go and check on the twins. I find them both looking at each other through the bars of their cribs and laughing. I smile at how precious my kids are before picking them up and setting Annalise on the fluffy rug in center of the room while I dress Connor. I put him in a fresh diaper and slide on grey jeans and a white shirt with red graphics on it. After placing him down, I pick Annalise and do the same except this time putting her in a light pink sundress with white polka dots. Once they were both ready, I take them downstairs, setting them in their high chairs before scavenging through the fridge for food for their breakfasts. Eventually, I decide, and set the plates containing a small portion of yogurt, some chunks of banana, and a few blueberries in front of them along with a sippy cup full of apple juice. As they eat, I receive a text message from Hayes.
Hayes: Drop the kids off at 4:45
I roll my eyes remembering how he basically said his kids were nuisances yesterday but decide just to reply with a simple okay not wanting him to become anymore pissed at me than he already was. I check the time to see it's almost 10. I briskly wipe the remaining blueberry juice off the twins hands before placing them on the couch and turning on Little Einsteins while I clean up. While I am washing their dishes, my phone buzzes on the counter beside me. I wipe my soapy hands on a dish towel before unlocking my phone and checking my messages.
Liam: Can you please come over to dinner tonight?
Rachel: Sure, but why?
Liam: I've finally worked up enough courage to come out to my parents.
Rachel: That's great, and I'll be there to support you.
Liam: Thank you so much, and you can bring the twins if you want.
Rachel: No, Hayes actually wanted to watch them.
Liam: Oh okay. Well, dinner at 5:30, so I'll pick you up around 5:15.
Rachel: Okay.
We both text our good byes, and I finish rinsing off the sippy cup. Connor, Annalise, and I watch tv and play around until I notice it's 3:50 and decide to start getting ready. I change into a denim shirt that ties in the front and a pair of cream lace shorts before sliding on my navy colored vans. I lightly curl my hair into waves before adding a thin line of eyeliner and a coat of mascara to my eyes. Once I'm finished, it's 4:25 so I decide to go ahead and start the walk to Hayes's house. When I finally get there, I hesitate slightly before ringing the doorbell. The door swings open to reveal Nash.
"Um, hey. Thanks for dropping them off. Hayes said to tell you to pick them up tomorrow morning," he says awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.
"Yeah, okay," I respond quietly before saying goodbye to Annalise and Connor and kissing them both on the forehead. When I get home again, I watch New Girl until I receive a text from Liam telling me he's outside. I quickly grab my cellphone and walk out the door and into his car.
"Hey," he smiles nervously.
"Everything's going to be fine. They're going to take it great and everything will be normal," I reassure him even though I feel as if I'm about to have a break down myself.
"Thanks, I just hope you're right," he sighs and continues to drive. The rest of the ride we stay quiet neither of us really in the mood to talk. The car slowly pulls into a large stone house proving that his family is fairly wealthy. We walk into the house to be greet by a smiling lady in a floral dress whom I'm assuming is his mother.
"Hello, sweetie. Welcome to our home. I'm Mrs. Lyndon," she smiles brightly shaking my hand.
"Hello. Thank you for having me," I grin back.
"Oh no problem, dear. Dinner will be ready in about five minutes. Until then, feel free to make yourself at home," she gleams walking back into the kitchen.
"Let's go to my room," Liam says quickly dragging me up a flight of nicely finished stairs and down a hallway until we reach a chestnut colored door. He pushes open the door and we step into a room with dark blue walls and cream colored carpet. There is a neatly made queen sized bed with a grey comforter on top placed in the middle of one of the walls along with a black desk scattered with art supplies in one of the corners and a guitar in another. He flops down on his bed and pats the spot next to him. I walk over and sit on the edge.
"Your mom seems nice," I speak up and Liam just nods,"so, then why are you afraid to tell her?"
"It's not her I'm afraid to tell. It's my dad," he sighs burying his head into his pillow.
"Oh," was all I could say rubbing his shoulder comfortingly.
"Yeah, he's always put a lot of pressure on me to do well and to succeed, and I don't want him to be disappointed in me," he explains.
"He won't be disappointed in you, and even if he is who cares. You are who you are, and that's all that matters," I comfort. Before he can respond, the door creaks open, and a small girl, who looks about 6, peeks her head in.
"Mom told me to tell you dinners ready," she says in a cheery voice.
"Okay, thank you, Soph," he forces a smile. "That was my sister Sophia," he explains as he guides me back downstairs and into the dining room. The dining room there has a high ceiling with a rectangular table with two chairs on each side and one on each end in the middle of the room with a crystal chandelier hanging above it. Mrs. Lyndon and who I'm guessing is Mr. Lyndon are sitting at the ends of the table while Sofia is sitting on the left side. Liam pulls a chair out for me before sitting in his own. We finish our our dinner of roasted chicken, potatoes, and a side salad, and Liam still has not said anything. It is not until Mrs. Lyndon served us chocolate mousse when he stood up and cleared his throat.
"Um, can I have your attention, please," he stutters slightly.
"Sure, what is it, honey," Mrs. Lyndon asks with a confused expression on her face.
"There's something I really need to tell you," he explains pausing. "I'm gay," he breathes out before sitting down and lowering his head.
"Oh, sweetie, it's okay. I'm fine with you being gay," she smiles patting his hand. "Right, George?" She asks facing her husband who is just staring at the table with his jaw clinched, but instead of responding, he just stood up and left the room.
"Why don't you kids go upstairs while I talk to him," she smiles sympathetically. All of us scurry up the stairs. Once we are about to go into Liam's room, Sophia runs over and latches onto Liam in a hug and looks up him.
"Why is daddy so angry about you being gay?" she asks with sad eyes causing him to pick her up.
"Well, being gay means you like the same gender. So, I like boys," he begins and her mouth forms into an O shape,"and daddy doesn't think being gay is right."
"Oh, well, I still love you," she smiles squeezing her arms around his neck.
"And I love you too," he responds hugging her back before putting her back down and letting her go to her room. When we enter his room, he begins to cry lightly.
"Sh, it's okay," I whisper pulling him into my embrace.
"No, it's not. Everyone just slaps the it's okay sticker over everything to try and make you fell better, but it never does," he sniffles.
"I'm sorry, but it really is. Eventually your dad will come around, and you're going to find the perfect guy for you," I explain causing me to think about Hayes and how I thought he was perfect which made me frown slightly.
Liam must have noticed because he asks,"What's wrong."
"Nothing," I respond knowing he had bigger issues than mine.
"I kno-," he starts but the door opens before he can finish.
"Hey," his dad says awkwardly stepping into the room,"we need to talk."
"Okay," Liam replies glancing over at me nervously.
"I was wrong to do that. You're gay, and nothing I say or do will change that. It's who you are and I accept that," he explains walking over to his son and hugging him.
"Thanks, dad," Liam smiles when they finally release.
"I was just worried people bully you for it, but if they do, I know you're strong enough to handle it," he says patting his son's back. "It's getting late. Maybe Liam should take you home," he says turning his attention to me.
"Yeah," I say checking my phone to see it is 9:06.

"Thanks for having me over," I smile at Mr. and Mrs. Lyndon as Liam and I get into his car.
"Now, what's wrong with you?" he asks once he shuts his door,"and don't even try to say nothing. I know you're lying because whenever you lie your face gets red and you start to tap your foot."
"It does not," I protest, but I feel my face start to burn and my foot shake.
"See," he smirks pointing at me.
"Fine," I sigh,"Hayes and I got into a fight when he saw photos of you and me hugging yesterday because he thinks we're dating."
"What, and you didn't tell him I was gay?" He exclaims confused.
"No, I remembered the promise I made," I respond looking down.
"Oh," he sighs as we pull into my driveway.
"Well, I'll se you later," I wave as I walk up to my door.
"Yeah," he responds clearly focusing on something.
<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<> On Monday, I have a field trip, and this 67 year old teacher, that hates us all, is driving us over a mountain in a bus. So, if I die you'll know who to blame. <>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>