14. ESCAPE IS WHAT I NEED

Start from the beginning

  I sigh, "Hey, I'm—I'm gonna head out, okay?"

"Uh, yeah, let me lead you out!" She's nervous. I can tell by the wave in her words. We leave her room and her mom or dad aren't home still. She told me they work a lot of hours at the hospital together so this is normal.

The Outerbanks sun makes me curse when it shines down on me. "You sure you don't need a ride?"

"Nah, I'm just going to Pope's. He lives close by. I'll, uh, text you?" I step down from her porch and close one eye because of the sun. "Yeah, be safe!" I nod and turn to start walking to Pope's.

"We gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning," Pope makes it very clear once again aa we pull up to The Chateau with the supplies. "Okay, well, we gotta focus," Kie says. I didn't really talk the whole ride or getting the supplies really. Neither one of them badgered me about it. I'm sure they preferred quiet, upset Sam over crazy and fighting people upset Sam.

  Pope is explaining who's doing what and when but I've zoned out. God, what if he went home again. I should've walked with him. Forced him to talk to me.

  We all pile out of the pickup truck. "That tin can hold over like..200, 300 pounds," Pope opens the back of the truck to grab the stuff and I start grabbing things as well. "Thanks," Kie randomly says to Pope. I furrow my eyes in confusion but stay quiet. "What for?" Their voices fade out as I lug the items over to the porch. Suddenly, there's a sound of electricity turning on and bright lights that surprise me in the dark.

  Was it the other two? I turn back but they both just shrug at me. I walk a few more steps and see JJ, in a hot tub, surrounded by these lights and decorations.

  He pops open a bottle of champagne. I carefully step forward like if I get any closer he'll freak out at me. "JJ, what did you do?" I stare at the chain around his neck that replaced the shark tooth necklace.

  Pope, Kie and I are all so fucking confused. "I got a jet going straight in my butt right now!" He tries to joke, "Y'all should get in—immediately, you hear me?" He's tipsy. I can hear the very slight slur in his voice as he pours himself another drink. "How much did this cost?" Pope asks.

"Uh..,Well, with the generator, the petrol, and oh, hey, express delivery....pretty much all of it, yeah." My jaw drops. He is manic or some sort of something because he's never fucking done this before. "All of it?" Pope shouts. "Yeah, all of it!" JJ is acting like this isn't a fucking big deal.

    "How the hell do you spend all the money in one day?!" I shout with my jaw still dropped. "Yeah, burned a hole right through my pocket. But I mean, like, come on, guys, like, look at this! Finest in jet-based massage therapy, that's at least what they told me," JJ pauses and all I can do is stare at my boyfriend in pain, "Sam, what? Can't a man have a little luxury in life? Come on, all this scrimpin' and scraping'....I mean, like...guys, we—You only live once, right? Enough of this emotional shit, get in the Cats Ass. Come on." My heart is breaking at the sight of JJ.

   "In the what?" Kie asks. "In the Cats Ass. That's what I named her," JJ explains. I shake my head in disappointment. "Oh, hey, yo, I almost forgot," He leans over and suddenly, more lights go on, "Yeah, that's right, I know. Disco mode! That's right, baby!"

Pope is the first to come one up with the words to say, "Are you kidding me?"

"You could've paid for restitution!" I yell. I'm not even mad, I'm just so heartbroken. "Or literally given it to any charity!" Kie adds on. "Or better yet, could've helped us buy supplies!" Pope shouts. I can see JJ getting upset and his guard is going down. His jokes are no longer helping him ignore whatever the hell is happening. "Okay, well, you know what? I didn't do that!" JJ stands up so his body is exposed and I gasp. There's dark purple bruises littered on his torso. Oh, my God. I cover my hand with my mouth to hide the sob in my throat. Anger and heartbreak is all I feel.