1. MORNING LIGHT

THE VIBRATION OF MY phone makes me groan

THE VIBRATION OF MY phone makes me groan. My senses come to life and I hear seagulls and the wind out of my open window. The summer air seeps in, giving me comfort. My phone stops vibrating but a second later it starts up again. An even louder groan erupts from my mouth. I grab my phone and squint at the brightness.

JJ.

   The name stays on my phone along with a picture of him above the answer button. "Hello?" My own voice surprises me with how groggy it was. "We're fishing. Get your ass down to your dock."

   Fishing? It's probably John B's idea. Something about the storm bringing up fish or some shit. My back hits the sheets, "How long do I have?"

  I hear him ask JB and he replies 'within 10 minutes.'

  "Why couldn't you have called me an hour ago?"

"You would've cursed me out, pretty girl. Plus, I was not awake."

   I swing my legs over my bed and grab the first pair of shorts and underwear I see in my clean clothes pile. "You're right but I don't know if I've got ten minutes, babe." The affectionate name has become second nature to both of us. It feels right coming out of my mouth. "You'll be fine. You can go one day without the perfect eyeliner. I'll see you soon."

  My eyes widen and before I can say anything, he hung up the phone. Perfect eyeliner, asshole.

   How bad is the damage thanks to Agatha? The window to the backyard shows a knocked down tree and some chairs and shit that went flying. I'm not even sure some of the chairs are ours.

   Brandon and Justin's house is huge. Before we lived here I was so amazed every time I entered by the chandelier and the large staircase. The money and Kook lifestyle was from Brandon's side of the family. He came from old money meanwhile, like me, Justin had been on the Pogue side until he met his husband.

   The backyard has a pool that the group and I inhabit most of the summer. A bar next to it and when Justin was drunk enough he just 'accidentally' leaves drinks out for us. A smile forms as I remember last weekend, us high just enjoying the beginning of summer.

  Out of the corner of my eye I see the H.M.S Pogue pulling up next to my boat. As if on cue, JJ calls me again.

  "Before you open your big mouth, I need to throw on makeup and deodorant, and it has not been 10 minutes," I stomp over to my vanity, quickly putting on mascara. "No, just grab your hoodie and let's go, sunshine."

   I can see them jumping up and down in the boat. It's been 9 months since Big John went missing. John B is coping well but I can see the pain in his eyes every now and then. "You rush me and my makeup will look like shit."

"No need, I'll ruin it in a couple hours." Jesus.

I could hear his smirk through the screen. "You couldn't," I run around my poster-filled room grabbing my bag. I stuff extra clothes and put on my slides, "You still get scared when I raise my voice at you."