12. DYING JUST TO FEEL ALIVE

"I FEEL LIKE I'M going to be sick!" Pope runs to the bathroom in my house

"I FEEL LIKE I'M going to be sick!" Pope runs to the bathroom in my house. It's his first time getting drunk and he is not handling it well. "Oh, Pope. He better be done by tomorrow. Still can't believe your mom and dad let you stay home alone," Kie sits down next to me, beer in hand. "Don't be dramatic, I'm left home alone all the time!" JJ brags. I stare at the seltzer drink in my hand. It's not that I didn't want to go to California, I just couldn't be in a hotel room with my dad for a week. They get back tomorrow so the week-long sleepover with JJ will end.

"That's not a flex, JJ. We're 14," John B laughs at JJ who just shrugs his shoulders. I stare at the necklace around his neck. The shark tooth one that I gave as a thank you. Then back at his eyes but he's already staring at me,"Why are you staring at me?" I ask. JJ throws his hands up, "Jeez, can't admire my best friend?" I raise an eyebrow and my stomach flips in disgust at his flirting. "Admire Kiara," I throw my thumb back at the prettier girl. "I'm good, JJ is a walking horn dog." John B and I laugh at her comment. Suddenly, a loud gag comes from the bathroom. We all look in concern and John B says he's got it. "Hey, I'm going home. Mom wants me home," Kie stands up and gathers her things.

Eventually everyone left, even drunk Pope who got helped by John B. Now, it's JJ and I. He doesn't have to leave till the afternoon so he can sleep over one last time. We're sitting in my bed together, watching some cheesy rom-com in silence.

"I don't want my dad to come home," I turn to JJ and I don't realize how close we are until he turns towards me. "I never want mine to come home either, let's just go to bed pigeon." It's late so I just silently agree with JJ and turn the lights off.

"Goodnight, JJ." I feel his lips on my forehead, "Goodnight."

I'm awoken by the blankets being ripped off me and JJ shaking me. When I open my eyes, my dad is looming over us, pissed. "What the hell are you two doin? I didn't raise a whore!" JJ gets up and walks around to my dad, "We didn't do anything and don't call her a whore!" Without hesitation, my dad punched JJ. My mom screams and so do I. I hop out of my bed and try my best to push my dad out of my room. Punching him in the chest and cursing him out. Eventually, my mom drags him out but he continues calling me a whore. I turn to JJ who has a bloody nose, "JJ, I'm so sorry—"

"It's fine. I'm going to sneak out the window. Come with me?"

"He'll hurt you again if he catches me—"

"I'll kill him. Let's go!" JJ gets up, grabs his things so I grab a few things and sneak out my window. The whole time, all I could do was stare at the dried blood down JJ's face.

"What the fuck?" Are the first words I let out when I wake up and feel pain all throughout my body. Shit. Last night. I know I'm in John B's bed but where are the boys? Getting Sarah and Kie?