18. MY HEAD IS FILLED WITH PARASITES

THE SIRENS ARE STILL echoing through the island as we sit in The Wreck

    THE SIRENS ARE STILL echoing through the island as we sit in The Wreck. I'm sitting in one chair with my feet sitting in the one across from me. I did get like an hour of attempted sleep on a pillow of toilet paper Pope helped me make. I couldn't stay asleep though. Those thoughts of the worst happening to John B circled my mind every time I closed my eyes. "Where do you think he is?" I quietly say to JJ who is looking out the window. He flips his lighter and turns to me, "I think they got 'em—"

  "Don't—don't say that," I shake my head and point at him. I am not allowing that into the world. Plus, the sirens are still going which is a good sign. A groan and arms going up make me turn to Pope as he just wakes up. Kie is still sound asleep. Pope doesn't say anything and walks over to JJ.

  "He's pinched for sure, man," He says to Pope. "Nah, they wouldn't still be patrolling if they got him," Pope sits so now he can look at both of us and talk. "Lets hope," I get up from my chair and wipe my hands across the jeans I've worn a couple days in a row. Kie's voice makes me jump, "You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too."

   I lean onto JJ, "Well, if we're already fucked, we might as well help John B." Pope nods in agreement and walks like he's on a mission, too determined to answer JJ's question about whether we should get to John B before they do. "Pope?" JJ calls out. "I'm gonna get gas for the boat," Pope says flatly. "Hey, you be careful," Kie says but Pope stares for a second but turns back to JJ and I, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late." What the hell happened? We all glance at each other. "Uh—that's not good," Kie, JJ and I run out of The Wreck after Pope.

   "What is your problem?" Kie yells to Pope. I stand on the entrance and lean on the railing. "No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job," Pope answers. I don't understand Pope but he starts the dirt bike. The door opens behind me and I start to chew at the inside of my cheek. "Yo, what's happening?" JJ whispers. "Something about—an officer?" I'm not confident in my answer but turn back and tune in again. Kie walks over to Pope and I can't make out what Pope or Kie says because each time Kie talks, Pope revs the bike. "He's being petty—" Kie yells one last thing before Pope drives away.

  "You handled that amazingly," I smile at Kie. I can see her eyes start to roll but they stop at the sound of a helicopter whirling above us. "Who the hell is that?" JJ asks. I squint to try and see but I can't, then, I realize.

  "They brought the big boys y'all. John B needs off this island, now!" I march back inside and just try to think of something that could be helpful. I pace the restaurant and just think of every stupid little idea. "Stop pacin'. You're giving me a headache," JJ grabs my shoulders and I stop moving. "We're gonna get the boat and John B will be off the island quicker than you say—say—you get the point!"

  "He needs something quicker, babe," I grip my necklace anxiously. "His dad's boat won races. This is the quickest and maybe, the safest way for him off this island. For now, let's get him some like—rations and shit," Kie walks over to the kitchen and JJ and I follow her. She starts handing us things for John B and we pack them away. "You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks, putting more bread. "It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation," Kie hands me more food and even with it stuffed to the brim, I can't help but worry, "Is this enough food for them?"