25. I'M OFF ON THE ADVENTURE

"If Ward wasn't a white man, he'd be in jail by now," Bailey says as we make our way through the hall and to our next class

"If Ward wasn't a white man, he'd be in jail by now," Bailey says as we make our way through the hall and to our next class. "Well, Shoupe is a white man. What'd y'all expect?" Kie asks and we both scoff.

   "My LADIES!" JJ's voice bounces off the brick walls. "You are so LOUD!" I turn to him but he engulfs me in a hug acting like he didn't see me an hour ago. "Hi, guys," Pope waves and smiles. I can see his hand slowly reach for Kie's but I have no idea whether she realizes it or not but she pulls away. "Can we get to class?" We all turn to look at Bailey.

"Bailey Perez wanting to go to class? Rare!" Kie nudges Bailey and I swear I see a tint of blush on her cheeks. "We have a test!" She starts walking backwards and soon we get to class. Amelia and Ava stare at me as we walk in and I stare back.

Bunch of bitches.

What's even funnier is that Ava wasn't rude to me at all until Amelia came back. She didn't talk to me one time during the summer but she has to impress blondie so she has to be rude. I take my seat and huff. I didn't study for this test. I was too busy getting my best friend out of a murder charge. "I don't know shit on this test," JJ whispers as he puts his bag down. "It's history—doesn't change," I whisper back.

A few minutes later I'm staring at the test on my desk. I know some questions but my head is just racking with the gun and how Shoupe just doesn't believe us. It's bullshit.

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" I look away from my test and at Pope who looks as confused as we do. "We're in the middle of a test," Mr. Sunn replies.

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." I have no idea what that is but it sounds important. "Mr. Heyward, it's for you." I glance towards JJ as Pope leaves the room. What the hell?

I try to focus on my test again but cannot for the life of me. Fuck this. I start circling answers that look like they're right. My leg shakes when all of a sudden Pope comes back frantically. I raise my eyebrows at him and then he shows an envelope. I squint at it. Oh! OH!

It's the wheat symbol! The one from the gold. "Holy shit!" Mr. Sunn sends me a look, "Sorry—"

"What the f—" I snap my neck at JJ. "Fu...fu..fudge?"

"Good save, babe," I whisper. I tryagain to go back to the test but I really can't focus on it now. The damn wheat symbol is now racking my brain. The stupid wheat symbol.

   The bell rings and we all immediately get up and leave the classroom. "Let me see, Pope!" JJ grabs the envelope. "Be careful! You're known for destruction!" Pope grabs the envelope back. "Who the hell is Vanderhorse?" Bailey asks as we all speed walk because Pope is just flying down the hall.

  "Horst—Vanderhorst and I don't know but we're going to find out," Pope says. The old excitement from the gold comes back. No, I can't get my hopes up. Could be a consequence. Right? "Is this a game of tag?" JJ asks as we get to the library. "I don't know!" Kie responds.