Chapter 18

In the morning, Ursa wakes up early and goes to the kitchens for breakfast. After she eats, she goes down to Hagrid's hut. She opens the door and Fang looks up before plopping his head back down. Ursa chuckles and Lyra hoot. "Good morning Lyra. Anything happen?" Lyra shakes her head. "Alright. When Draco gets here, I need you to stay with him and come to me when he tells you to." Ursa hears the first bell. "I should get to Clawhoof and Hothoof before everyone else gets here." She goes to the pen and helps get everything set up. "Alright. You all good?"

"You'll keep them back far enough?" Hothoof questions as she covers the baby with her wing

"Yep. I already told Grubbly-Plank your requests."

"And your brother?"

"Learned his lesson after Buckbeak. He won't come anywhere near you."

"Thank you Ursa."

"Just double checking. No one in the pen correct?"

"Yes."

"And Clawhoof should be back soon."

"Yes."

"Alright everyone gather around" Grubbly-Plank says after the second bell rings.

"Where's your sister Malfoy?" Crabbe asks.

"Around here somewhere." Draco replies.

"We will be reviewing hippogriffs today." Grubbly-Plank says and some people groan. "I don't what to hear any complaints. There is a special reason we are reviewing them." After the lecture, Grubbly-Plank talks to Draco. "Send Lyra  Mr Malfoy."

     "Go." Draco says to Lyra and she takes off from his shoulder.

     "Let's go see the hippogriffs." Grubbly-Plank says.

     "Thank you Lyra." Ursa says after Lyra lands on the fence and hoots. "They are on their way. Did you decide on a name?"

     "Stormhoof." Hothoof says. "Because it was storming when we-"

     "I don't need to know!" Ursa exclaims.

     "The first time I talked to him about my feelings."

     "Only stand on this side of the pen please." Grubbly-Plank says as she and the class approaches the pen. "Don't want to get too close."

     "But someone's in there." Lavender says.

     "Yes Miss Malfoy has been taking care of creatures in Hagrid's absence."

     "Why is there only one?" Pansy asks. Ursa walks over to the class, staying inside the pen.

     "You will see soon enough Miss Parkinson." Grubbly-Plank says. "Now does anyone know how hippogriffs breed?" No one raises their hand but Ursa can see Hermione is thinking. Just before Grubbly-Plank is about to have Ursa explain, Hermione raises her hand. "Miss Granger."

     "They make a nest and lay an egg." Hermione says. "A very fragile egg."

     "And how long, on average, does it take for an hippogriff egg to hatch."

     "24 hours."

     "Yes. Two days ago, one of our female hippogriffs laid an egg." Ursa goes back to Hothoof.

     "This is Stormhoof." Ursa says as Hothoof lifts her wing. The girls aww. "She hatched yesterday afternoon." Stormhoof stumbles over to Ursa and Ursa kneels down. She holds her hand out and Stormhoof bows. Ursa gently pets her face. "Normally you have to bow first but Stormhoof met me yesterday. The bowing seems to be a natural thing." Everyone hears a caw and everyone but Ursa looks up. "And here comes the father." Clawhoof looks like he is going to crash into Ursa on landing.