Chapter 16

"Good afternoon children." Umbridge says that afternoon. Chalk rises from the board and writes as Umbridge speaks. "Ordinary Wizarding Levels. O-W-Ls." The chalk is replaced. "More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." Umbridge flicks her wand towards a stack of books on the desk and they hover down the aisles, depositing a book in front of each student as Umbridge speaks. Hermione looks through the table of contents once she gets hers. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic." Hermione raises her hand. "Yes Miss?"

     "Hermione Granger." Hermione says. "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

     "Using spells?" Umbridge questions. "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

     "We're not going to use magic?" Ron asks.

     "You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

     "What use is that?" Ursa exclaims and Draco shoves her. "If we are attacked it will not be risk free."

     "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Ursa rolls her eyes. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about."

     "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asks.

     "There is nothing out there, dear." Umbridge says condescendingly. "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

     "Oh I don't know." Harry snaps. "Maybe Lord Voldemort." The room goes silent until Umbridge speaks a few seconds later.

     "Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark Wizard is at large again. This is a lie."

     "It's not a lie!" Harry yells. "I saw him. I fought him!"

     "I got cursed by him!" Ursa exclaims.

     "Detention Mr Potter!" Umbridge yells.

     "Shut up Ursa." Draco whispers.

     "If it is a lie," Ursa says. "Who used the Cruciatus Curse on me last June? Hm?" A window cracks and people flinch. "Some random person?"

     "Detention for you too Miss..."

     "Do not act like you do not know who I am."

     "I do not know who you are." Ursa smirks darkly.

     "Malfoy, Ursa Malfoy. The powerful young witch." Ursa chuckles as Umbridge looks a little scared.

     "Ursa calm down." Draco says. "You cracked the window."

     "So Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry asks.

     "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." Umbridge says.

     "It was murder!" Ursa yells and the window cracks in smaller pieces but doesn't shatter. Draco sighs.

     "Voldemort killed him. You must know-"

     "Enough!" Umbridge exclaims. "Enough. See me later Mr Potter and Miss Malfoy. My office."

     After class, Draco walks with Ursa to dinner. "Good job." Draco says sarcastically. "First day and you're already in trouble."