Chapter 4

1943
Y/n pov
It is 1934 a lot has happened in the past few years Steve rogers is now a well known superhero called Captain America and is going to Italy to meet up with US army he promised to say hi to James and I thanked him we escorted him to the airport and waved by and we left James hasn't sent any letter in weeks and Steve was gonna ensure me that he was fine he was just busier than normal and I agreed it was all over newspapers that different wars was happening and the army hadn't sent  any letter to say he wasn't missing or dead so he must be alive.

Steve pov
I got to Italy and meet a fellow captain at the base in the middle of Italy "rogers glad to have you hear the troops will be here soon as the new captain here are your troops" I looked down the list and I had James  I looked at his name it said MIA "barnes is missing in action since when" the captain put his cap down "since the battle against the Nazi forces of Johann Schmitt so at least a month we don't know if he's dead or alive or has been captured by the nazis" I nodded slowly y/n will be gutted  "i know my friend he's alive but we going to get out a letter to his wife but I'm going to call her she deserves to hear it rather than read it" he nodded and pointed me to the nearest phone box and dialled in the number.
Y/n pov
I was staring at my wedding dress it has been a good few years that me and James have been married and he's been gone for most of our anniversaries. All of sudden the phone rang I rushed to grab it in hope it was James "hello barnes residency y/n is speaking" I spoke into the phone "hi y/n it's Steve I just got my listen and I have James but I have bad news" I breathed hesitantly "what is Steve please tell me he isn't dead" he sighed at the other end of the line I was shaking and in tears scared "no he's MIA he's not dead and I know he's not I'll find him I promise you know y/n James is alive" I was in tears I believed Steve he never lied to any of people we knew if James was alive he was alive "okay so what's the plan" Steve chuckled "I'll tell you in all due time" I sighed a classic Steve move "okay speak soon"
Steve pov
I had a plan to get ensure Bucky is alive and safely back home with y/n my plan was simple I'd get Peggy and Howard to help fly me to the enemy lines to mount a solo rescue attempt. I just needed to get Peggy and Howard into the plan first I asked Peggy and she agreed I called Howard and he was more than happy we was to get the Howard here for tomorrow to rescue our friend and he was never to leave for war again until I say so