Twenty

By the time Seonghwa had gotten back home, he'd found Hongjoong in his usual habitual place. The kitchen, in the dark, with his laptop screen shining only the smallest ounce of light onto him. Seonghwa could see the exhaust written over his husbands face, "No work tonight?" He asked as he placed a paper bag full of a few groceries on the counter next to Hongjoong.

Without looking up from his laptop, Hongjoong shook his head and replied. "Nope, got an English paper due in tomorrow morning."

Seonghwa walked around him and started making the boy a cup of coffee. "It's late. Why leave it last minute?"

"Believe it or not, I've kinda had a busy week with getting kidnapped and nearly beaten to death. You know, a casual weekend for us." Hongjoong blew sarcastically.

"Oh sorry." Seonghwa apologised with genuine sincere as he finished the hot beverage.

Hongjoong looked back immediately. Seonghwa handed him the coffee, which Hongjoong hesitantly accepted with confusion. "Uh thanks." With his eyes stuck on Seonghwa, Hongjoong took a soft sip of the coffee. "What's gotten into you?"

"What do you mean?" Seonghwa played dumb.

"You're being nice to me."

Seonghwa raised a lone brow, "Is there a problem with that?"

Hongjoong didn't know what to say. Seonghwa was acting strange and it was weirding him out. "I guess not."

A sly smirk crept upon Seonghwa's lips. "Good." He patted the younger's shoulder. "Look, I'm going to bed. Don't stay up too late, we have plans tomorrow."

"What plans?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out tomorrow morning." Seonghwa ascended the stairs.

"But what if I already have something to do?" Hongjoong's retorted in a louder volume so Seonghwa could hear him from his position.

"Cancel them!" He called back.

Hongjoong looked down at the warm mug of coffee that Seonghwa made for him. Such a sentimental action. He tutted to himself as he took another sip. Seonghwa knew exactly how Hongjoong liked his coffee, and he made it the best. "Why are you acting like you care all of a sudden?" He asked himself, like he was talking to the older.

A constant reminder shone like a torch in his mind, telling him not to get attached. Hongjoong doesn't remember the last time someone truly cared for him, he was always let down. And he knows for a fact that Seonghwa isn't in this for the potential, if anything he expects betrayal.

Settling the mug down, he clicked on an open browser he was using earlier. It's a new song. A song he's been struggling with. No inspiration bloomed in his life. He tried to wonder what it was like if he lived like a normal person. Life without the violence, threats and death. He wasn't made for this.

⚜️

"Hongjoong, get up!" Seonghwa ordered as he pulled the covers off of Hongjoong, prodding the him to throw his arm over his eyes.

Hongjoong groaned as the older opened the curtains, letting all the light into his bedroom. "Go away."

"I don't care. I told you we had plans today." He sat on the edge of the bed, right next to hongjoong. "Think of this as an excuse to dress up."

Hongjoong dropped his arm from his face in a huff. "Where are we even going?"

"On a date." Seonghwa stood up and walked to exit.