Eighteen

⚜️

⚜️

San placed the alcohol-laced cotton ball on Hongjoong's under eye injury, causing him to wince. "You're previous injuries have just about healed, now here you are covered in bruises and blood again." San spoke, ignoring Hongjoong's hisses.

"I'm sorry." Hongjoong apologised.

"Dude. It's not your fault." San chuckled. "You can't help the circumstances."

Hongjoong shoved San's grip away in frustration. "But it is my fault." He cried. "All of it." He began gripping his hair, wincing when the sleeve of his hoodie stroked against a raw cut. His elbows rested on his knees with his head lowered, facing the floor of the kitchen.

San sighed calmly. Fixing his face with a comforting smile, he gently removed Hongjoong's hands from his hair and elevated his head with the light touch on his chin. Hongjoong's eyes sparkled with sorrow.

"Hey." San spoke in a soothing tone. "There's no need to be upset. You have more people to help you get through this."

"Like who?" Hongjoong scoffed.

"Seonghwa." Was San's answer before he added. "And me."

"Seonghwa doesn't give two shits about me. And you...you don't know me." He sighed, slowly convincing himself that he was just as lonely as the voices in his head told him he was. But it wasn't the truth.

San pinched Hongjoong's chin a little tighter, grabbing his attention again. "No. But I do know one thing. You're misunderstood, Kim Hongjoong. Living a life like ours isn't easy, especially when you were born into it. You and Seonghwa have it harder than us. It was our choice to join the mafia, but you two are legacies. You're raised to lead us."

"But that's not the legacy I want." Hongjoong snapped. "I don't lead people. I don't know how. I'm not fit for that kind of responsibility."

San calmed Hongjoong down by placing both of his hands on Hongjoong's shoulders and looking down at him with kindness filling his gaze. "Hey. You're hyperventilating."

That was when Hongjoong realised breathing became unbearable. His chest rose and dropped just at the acknowledgement.

San rose his touch, his palms were now placed on Hongjoong's cheeks, causing his breaths to become steadier. San ducked a little so he was face-to-face with him, gifting him a warning grin.

Hongjoong's met the sweet eyes of Choi San, instantly feeling calmer. "I'm sorry." he apologised.

Reaching for his hair, San ran his fingers through Hongjoong's messy blonde locks. "Don't worry about it."

So charming, Hongjoong found him.

Leaning closer, the pair became clouded by foreign mist of neglected feelings. Both knowing it was a terrible idea. Hongjoong was married, and San was a form of self-destruction when he falls for someone, which he knows he already has. But not with the man his lips had just touched.