Prologue

⚜️

⚜️

Behind the naivety of his exterior, a cunning and sinister glint sparkles in Hongjoong's eyes; it was barely noticeable, but just as deadly. Although, he only carried that look as a burden, the burden of his family and legacy.

Hongjoong liked to believe he escaped that life, but that was very untrue and he knew that deep inside.

His father-Kim Minseok-was a lenient man when it came to Hongjoong. The boy carried an innocence his father never appreciated, yet Minseok allowed it to blossom despite the intent to toughen Hongjoong up. Minseok didn't understand the concept his son supplied, it didn't mean he wasn't impressed though.

It is true, Hongjoong is pure and naive, but no one was truly sure what spun through the boy's mind.

So, with the intention of never living up to his pressured legacy of becoming the next mafia boss, Hongjoong moved out as soon as he turned 18 and applied for university, completely ignoring his father's protests. Although Minseok allowed this, there were still restrictions. Such as his apartment being only ten minutes away from the gang's base, he must visit regularly and must partake in urgent missions. Hongjoong has only ever taken part in one mission, which was kind of like an initiation process. It wasn't a success, but it was the last straw for Hongjoong to decide he wanted nothing to do with the mafia.

With this in mind, Hongjoong was mildly surprised to notice a car subtly following him while he was on his way back from the bar he worked at some evenings. He wasn't stupid, and neither was the person following him. They were discreet, but it was like they wanted to be seen. Hongjoong took note of this as he stupidly stopped in his tracks. An idiotic move if he didn't know exactly whom it was tailing him.

The car eventually parked up next to him, the back window rolled down revealing an overly-smug face. Hongjoong remained facing the north and continued to walk slowly after displaying that he had noticed the presence of the other party. The car followed next to him at a slow pace. "Not even going to acknowledge your own father? I'm truly hurt." Hongjoong could practically taste the sarcasm seeping through Minseok's words.

"What do you want? It's 11:00pm and I have school in the morning." He didn't need his father's presence in his life right now, it was usually followed by bad news.

"Get in." He ordered.

Hongjoong stopped when the vehicle did and sighed. He knew not to disobey his father, it usually ended with punishments that Hongjoong didn't want to go through. So, with much reluctance, He walked around and hopped into the backseat next to Minseok.

Minseok instructed the driver to continue a long route before turning to face his son. "You know I wouldn't come to you personally unless it was important."

Hongjoong sat with a high posture and his knees pressed closely together. His father intimidated him to no end, which is ironic considering how much he has defied him already. "Apparently so." He replied formally, "But what does it have to do with me? You never come to me about business."