Chapter 11

Previously on Chapter 10

"Why did you take the vision? Is that why you came back... or... Tio Bruno?" Mirabel said. Bruno starts to do one of his antics. "Knock knock knock knock on wood!" He said. He inhales a deep breath, holding it while crossing his fingers. I cover my mouth, trying not to laugh because Bruno is being funny and cute. Wait... what? Oh whatever... I just hope nothing bad happen from this.

-Emotional Moment-

Y/N P.O.V

"You were never suppose to see that vision. No one was..." Bruno said, as he keeps walking. We walk through the secret hallway. I turn to look at Mirabel, to see her looking at the patched up cracks.

"Have you been here... patching the cracks?" Mirabel said. "Huh? Oh no no no. I'm too scared to be near those. All the patching's done by Hernando" he said. "Who's Her-" Mirabel stops mid-sentence. Bruno have his hood on.

"I'm Hernando and I'm scared of nothing. Actually me... heheh. I say my real gift was acting" he said. I let out a soft giggle. He place a bucket on his head. "I'm Jorge and I make the spackle" he said. Mirabel just stare at her uncle, speechless.

Bruno takes off the bucket from his head and laugh nervously. He turns to look at me and gives me a small smile. "How long... have you been back here?" Mirabel said.

***

"You never left..." Mirabel said. We're now in the room where Bruno have been in for the past 10 years. "Well, I- I left my tower, which was you know, a lotta stairs, and uh in here... eh? Kitchen adjacent - ooo plus, free entertainment!" He said, grabbing a rat.

He place the rat on a small makeshift stage. "So whattya like? Whattya like? You like sports? Game Show? Telenovelas?" He said, while flipping through the cards. I smile sadly at him, knowing how lonely he must have felt. I can't imagine how he is if I didn't come to visit daily.

"Well, because she's his aunt and she has amnesia, so she can't remember that she's his aunt, you see it's like a very forbidden kind of-" Bruno said. "I don't understand... why you left. But didn't... leave" Mirabel said, cutting him off.

"Oh, well... because you know the mountains around the Encanto are pretty tall... and uh - you know like I said, free food... and everything. Don't you agree, Y/N?" he said, turning to me. I smile and nod my head.

"Wait... you know my Tio, Tia?" Mirabel said as she turns to look at me. "Well... I haven't completely been honest with you, Mirabel. You know... when you asked me where I go when I went missing?" I said. She nods her head. I let out a sigh and smile apologetically at her.

"This is actually where I've been. I met your uncle on the night I overused my power. I was thirsty. So I went to the kitchen to grab something to drink, and there is where I meet him. I've been coming here to keep him company ever since" I said. She turns to look at Bruno, who nods his head.

"You knew all this time my uncle was here? Why didn't you tell me, Tia?" Mirabel said. "I made her promise that she won't tell anyone that I'm here. So don't blame her, Mirabel" Bruno said, standing up for me.

Mirabel walks up to a crack on the wall. She looks out. I can see her eyes widening slightly. I just smile sadly, knowing what sees looking at right now. She turns to look at the table to see a drawing of a plate with Bruno's name on it.

Mirabel turns to look at him. "My gift wasn't helping the family. But... but I love my family, you know? I just don't know how to... I just don't know how to" he said. He moves to sit down. I walk towards him. I slip my hand in his. He turn to look at me, with tears in his eyes.

"Hey... it's okay..." I said, pulling him into a hug. He buries his face into the crook of my neck. I caress his hair softly, trying to calm him down. Mirabel just stands where she is, as she watch me trying to calm her uncle.

Bruno finally calms down. He turns to look at his niece. "I think you should go, because um -- well, I don't really have a good reason, but if I did, you'd be like, I should go 'cause that's a good reason" he said. Mirabel walks towards him, and kneels down.

"Why was I on your vision, Tio Bruno?" She said. I caress Bruno's hand comfortingly. He give my hand a light squeeze, wanting me to comfort him. "I just... wanted to make the family proud of me... just once. But if I should stop... if I'm hurting my family... just tell me" Mirabel added, after realizing Bruno isn't saying anything.

"I can't tell you... because I don't know" he said. He takes out the shards. He place them on the table. "I had this vision... on the night you didn't get your gift. Abuela worried about the magic, so she begged me to look into the future, see what it meant" he added.

"And I saw the magic in danger...our house... breaking... and then... and then, and then... I saw you. But the vision was different. It... it would change... and there was no one answer... no clear fate. Like your future was undecided. But I knew how it was gonna look, I knew what everyone would think because I'm Bruno and everyone always assumes the worst... so... so.." he paused. Mirabel grabs the tray and stare at it. She runs her hand across the surface.

"Y-You left... to protect me?" She said. "I don't know which way it'll go... but my guess... the family, the Encanto, the fate of the miracle itself - it's all gonna come down to you" he said. I turn to look at Mirabel with a worried gaze. She must feel so troubled right now. I can't imagine what she's feeling right now. I just hope we can fix this mess.

*to be continued*