Chapter 7

Previously on Chapter 6

I enter the room quietly and sighs in relief when I realize Mirabel is still sound asleep. I enter the room, letting Casita close the door. I make my way to the bed and lay down. I close my eyes and let myself drift off to sleep.

-Something Isn't Right-

Y/N P.O.V

"Okay, Casita. I'm awake!" I said. The tiles finally stops moving. I sit up on the bed and let out a sigh, trying to wait for the sleepiness to fade, which takes a couple of minutes.

Once the sleepiness fades. I move to stand up and lift both of my arms in the air, stretching. I let out a sigh of content after hearing a light popping sound on my back. I turn around and slowly make my way to the bathroom for a quick shower.

After the shower is done, I make my way out of my room. I think today they planned on having some breakfast outside. So I make my way outside and soon enough, everyone is gathering around the table.

I turn my head, taking a notice of Mirabel talking to Dolores. Felix walks out of the house. "Camilo. Stop pretending you're Dolores so you can have seconds!" He said. Dolores turns to Camilo. "Worth a shot..." he said. Casita smacks his back, causing him to let out a yelp. I shake my head and laugh lightly at the boy.

"Y/N... come on, grab some food" I hear Pepa said. I turn to look at her and nod my head. I grab a plate and get some food. Then I make my way to the table. I take a seat next to Dolores.

I look around the table. I feel a frown appear on my face as I think about a certain Madrigal, who's not here. I'm sure he wished to be here with the rest of them more than anything. But he can't because of his gift. I keep a mental note to visit him later on.

"Tia Y/N?" Someone said, nudging my side. I turn my head to see Dolores. "Yeah?" I asked. "Are you okay?" She asked. "Of course" I said, nodding my head.

I turn my head and notice Mirabel keeps glancing at Luisa. I furrow my eyebrow as I watch their rather awkward exchange. Luisa clearly seem tense and uncomfortable at her sister's behavior. Once the meal is over. Mirabel instantly stands up as she rush after Luisa. I stare at her retreating figure with a slight concern. I wonder what she's up to.

***

I have some arepas inside a basket. I look around the place, trying to make sure no one notice me. I open the painting and make my way inside, making sure the painting is shut behind me. I slowly make my way inside.

"Bruno?" I called out, behind the door. I can hear shuffling sound. "Ow!" A voice said, followed by a crashing sound. Then the door opens, startling me.

"Oh Y/N! Uh... h-hi" he said, nervously. I let out a giggle and give him a smile. "I brought some Arepas for you..." I said, lifting the basket. His whole face seem to brighten. He moves aside and let me inside his small room.

The rats gathers around me, making me smile softly at them. "Hello, little ones" I said, still smiling. They squeaks loudly at me, making me giggle because they seem to be saying hello with me. I turn my head to look at Bruno to see him already looking at me.

"Do I have something on my face?" I asked. "Huh? I, uh... nope" he said, nervously. I let out a giggle and hands the basket of arepas to him. He take it from me, smiling gratefully.

"Will you stay for the meal with me?" He said. "Of course... why else would I be here?" I said. He just smiles and gestures me to take a seat. I follow along and sits across from him on the floor. He takes a piece of arepa and starts to eat. He takes one from the basket and offers it to me. I take it from him and take a bite.

"How's your day, Y/N? How are things outside of Casita?" He asked, after a while of silence. "Hm... nothing much happens. But I'm worried about your niece, Mirabel" I said. "Why?" He asked. "She said she saw something like cracks around Casita and such" I said. As soon as I said that I can see Bruno tensing up.

"Are you okay?" I asked. "Huh? Oh yeah! I'm fine. Mmm~ this arepa is SO good!" He said, taking a huge bite. "Careful! You might choke!" I said. And I was right, because Bruno starts coughing. I let out a sigh and scoot closer to him. I kneel down next to him as I gently pat his back.

"Here, have some water" I said, offering a bottle of water to him. He take it from my hand, giving me a grateful smile. He quickly chugs down the water. I just shake my head at his reaction.

He take a deep breath. "Are you okay now?" I asked. He turns to look at me and nods his head. "I am... thanks, Y/N" he said. I just smile softly. I scoot away from him.

"Why are you reacting that way, anyway?" I asked. He just stayed silent, not answering my question. I can see him visibly anxious and worried. I look at him worriedly. I decided to not pressed him further, because I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

After a while of hanging around with him. I decided that it's time for me to head out. I don't want the others to wonder where I'm at. They might find out about Bruno.

No matter how much I wished I could just tell them that Bruno never truly left. I can't... he made me promise that I wouldn't tell, and I grew up as someone who always kept my promise. So, I don't have a choice but to try my best to keep his hideout a secret.

"I think it's best if I head back" I said. He nods his head in agreement. He gets up and offers his hand to me. I place my hand into his larger one. He gently pulls me up to my feet. He accompany me to the hidden door.

"Thank you for visiting me, Y/N" he said. "Anytime, Bruno" I said, smiling at him. I turn around and gently push the door open. I look around to make sure no one is around. I jump out of the painting, closing it behind me. Then I make my way to my room.

It's already late at night. So I just decided to take a quick shower and head straight to bed. I let myself relax under the warm streaming water.

After the shower, I make my way back to my room. I dry my hair thoroughly. I stand up and head to my bed, and lay down. I pull the blanket up to my chest.

I stare at the wall as I recall Bruno's reaction when I told him what Mirabel saw. He looks panicked... it makes me feel worried. Something is wrong around here. He knows something, but I don't wanna invade his privacy by looking into his past. I let out a sigh as I close my eyes and let myself drift off to sleep.

*to be continued*