Chapter 79 - Chen Mother's questions

Start from the beginning

Chen Mother was also a little worried.  If both their families were well-matched in social status, it would have been easily settled but as it is, she was afraid that the other party would look down on them who were from small cities.  So, she grabbed hold of Chen Ruo Yu and asked questions about Meng Gu again.

Chen Ruo Yu really wanted to dig a hole in the ground and crawl in to have a good sleep.  She was not interested in whatever the two elderly were discussing.  She did not understand, and since she had not reached that stage yet, she was not concerned.

With her eyes closed, Chen Ruo said she was very sleepy but Chen Mother and Second Auntie ignored her as they were talking excitedly.  At this moment, Chen Ruo Yu’s cell phone rang and the call was from Meng Gu.

“Is it ineffective?”  Meng Gu asked.

“Huh?……”  Chen Ruo Yu felt unhappy and pursed her lips sleepily.

“I knew you would be useless.”

“Oh.”  But what can she do?

“Tell them now that if they still want to talk, I can invite them out for supper to let them talk, so you can sleep well.”

“Oh.”

“Oh, what?......  Tell them now and don’t hang up!”

So Chen Ruo Yu said to the two elders who were staring at her.  “It is Meng Gu who is calling.  He said if Mom and Second Auntie still want to talk, he will treat you to supper and both of you can go out and talk so that I can sleep.”

“Ah?”  Chen Mother and Second Auntie immediately softened.

“This child, why did you tell him about this?  It’s already so late, we won’t go for supper and tell him to rest.  We will talk again tomorrow.”

Chen Ruo Yu said into the phone.  “My Mom said it’s late and you should rest.  They don’t need supper.”

“Tell Mom on my behalf……Goodnight…..Go to sleep.”

“Oh.”  Chen Ruo Yu said as instructed.  “Mom, Meng Gu said ‘Goodnight’…..’Go to sleep’.”

Chen Mother still wanted to say something but when she saw her daughter still holding the phone without hanging up, it was obvious her son-in-law was still on the phone overseeing this.  Suddenly she felt a little embarrassed, awkwardly muttered a few words and returned to her room.  

Second Auntie naturally did not have anything to say and settled down to sleep.  Chen Ruo Yu sighed and said to Meng Gu on the other end of the line.  “Okay, the meeting is adjourned.  Going to sleep….. Goodnight.”

She hung up the phone, nestled into the bed and fell asleep.  Suddenly the door opened again, and Chen Mother bent her waist, squatted down beside Chen Ruo Yu who was nestled under the quilt.  She asked in a small voice.  “Daughter, I have been thinking.  Although Meng Gu that child is good, his family’s situation is much better than our family.  How does he treat you?  Sometimes Mom talks harshly but Mom is still on your side.  If his family treats you badly, you have to tell Mom.  We don’t need wealth.  We just want you to be treated well.”

Chen Ruo Yu was touched and her eyes grew hot.  She nearly could not control herself and wanted to open her eyes to hug her mother.  But thinking that if she really moved, the result might be, she would again be captured by her mother and continue the talk about Meng Gu and his family.  So it was better for her to continue her pretense to be asleep.